Is this Normal (sons private area)

whenever i give my son a diaper change, or take his diaper off to give him a bath his penis is always very erect. It stays that way for 5-10 minutes. The head of his penis is a dark purple/red color and there is a very noticable vein going up the side. I knew adult men had that vein that was noticiable but when I asked my husband to look at it he said it didnt look like it was right. I figured he would know more about whtas normal than I would since he's had one his whole life. Another thing, when I touch his penis to wash him or move it to clean him during a diaper change, he jerks like it really hurts him. Is this Normal or am i really dealing with something that is bad? i dont know whether i am over reacting or what.

richardsgirl16

Asked by richardsgirl16 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Is he circumcised? The head of the penis is very sensitive. When he jerks is he crying in pain? Or is it more of a response to being touched? Penis's come in all shapes, sizes and colors. As for the visible vein...all my boys have veins you could see since birth.
    The best advice is.....If you are worried mama, take him to the doctor.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• HE IS CIRCUMSIZED AND HE ONLY JERKS IN PAIN. HE MAKES A LITTLE WIMPERING NOISE BUT NOTHING EXTREME...
    I SHOULDVE ADDED THIS INFO IN!!
    richardsgirl16

Answer by richardsgirl16 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have two teenage boys, a husband, and a home day care with 4 out of 6 children being boys....I know about the penis......LMAO!
    The discolored head...yes it's normal. It's a blood flow situation. Could be that it's cold or that it's erect. The erection - normal also. Regarding the vain...you need to ask your doctor because I've never encountered the vain issue and I don't really think your husband is qualified to answer that question...he probably doesn't remember his penis at that age and is really only qualified to answer it when he 1st remembers playing with it...around 4 or 5 most likely. Trust me they develop a relationship with it an early age : ) The knee jerk reaction when you touch it could also be sensitivity if it's erect or if it's cold. Call your doctors office...There is no stupid or silly question for your doctor...this is YOUR child so ask away! And if they seem put out...find a new doctor.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have 2 sons and I can't recall anything that looked similar to what you describe. I also never had them jerk away from me touching it when cleaning with a wipe or in the bath. Usually, it wasn't erect either; in fact, except for immediately after waking in the morning, if it was erect I knew it meant he was about to pee. I took a peek at your profile, and I see he's 2. Has it always been this way or is this a recent thing that's begun happening? Have you noticed him playing with it? I know some kids get curious, discover it feels good and keep doing it (not a sexual thing, just a feels good, like scratching an itch); is this a possibility? I'd say call his doctor and see what the dr. says.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Has he had any trauma in the pelvic area? Falling down..etc?
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• he is in Daycare all day so i dont know if there could have been trauma to his area. God only knows what happens at the daycare center....

This has been a more recent event. The past few weeks when the weather started getting colder. He does play with it but acts like its sore when I give him a bath....
    richardsgirl16

Answer by richardsgirl16 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have 3 sons and none of them have the vein on their penis' . Personally if it were me I would take your little guy in and check to see if something is wrong with his penis. He may have a problem with his urethra. This happened to one of my friends little one and his penis would stand erect for several minutes and he has pain when she would clean him. So they had to go see an Urologist and get things fixed down there. I can't remember what she said they did but he never had the problem again. I hope it's nothing serious other than just a little irritation.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• my son has this problem,its caused through him having thrush,its normal for penis to erect and so is colour,if the erection looks swallon then its caused through thrush,and this i found out from my doctor,as far as always playing with his penis this is normal,he is discovering himself,if he pulls to hard then it will be painful and learn not to pull to hard again,i hope this has helpped you
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 5:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Oh boys do love their penises. My five y/o gets and has gotten erections since birth. I wouldn't worry about the vein, they are all made differently. If your son is crying out in pain, take him to the doctor. They are very sensitive though, occasionally my son will jerk away when I try to wash his "area" and say it tickles.
    mamaconroy

Answer by mamaconroy at 3:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2008