Feeling like some of the CM magic is gone! Wondering if anyone feels the same?

So I was asked to be a moderator on a cafemom group, and in exchange for my participation I would receive a $25 gift card for a certain number of posts a month. At first it sounded fun, but I found myself posting/replying to things I normally wouldn't just to rack up my number of posts.

Now I wonder when I'm in other groups if that's what other people are doing? Are they really interested in what's going on or is that post just another number?

I left the moderator group, but I still have a bad taste about the whole thing.

I understand what CM is trying to do (to get the group going and to keep it exciting) but I'm wondering if they should leave it to the moms to make a connection that will make a group succeed or fail.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in About CafeMom

• LOL! So they're trying that again, huh? Interesting. I was a mod for these same people, back when the site was ClubMom. I have noticed similar patterns in many ways between what they did then (which put that site out of business) and what they're doing here now. Well, some people never learn!
    Successful groups are built on several factors - all of which have to do with group dynamics, principles of psychology, and true leadership.
    kateandjona

Answer by kateandjona at 8:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Actually what happens is that while they increase activity in one section, another section dies off. The journals used to be very active, until the Answers section opened. Now, people even use the Answers section to simply post vents or journals, instead of putting them where they belong. The journals are now nearly dead. And yes, this type of thing is how they killed off the old ClubMom site too.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I hate the way the groups with CM mods spam private messages and chatterboxes. I really hate it. I've been around since the old ClubMom days too, and I find that the more changes they make, the less time I spend here.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 10:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• CM magic? That hasn't existed since the days of ClubMom ... never did exist on this site.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 5:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Sorry, but what was the CM Magic?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I used to own a pretty popular group... I took it over b/c the owner had left CM. It was fun for a few months but then became such a chore that I actually didn't even want to sign in any more. I actually left CM for a about 2 weeks b/c of feeling like it was a job. I came back with a different profile and I am not going to moderate or own anything.

Once it stops being fun for you it's time to take a step back and re-evaluate. Do what feels right for you... if you feel like you are forcing conversation to meet a quota then it takes something from the group and your experience in it, not adding to it. Time to retire from moderation. Just IMO any ways. Sounds like you did what's right for you... that's what counts ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• What is this "CM magic" you speak of? I don't think anything even close to magic has EVER been a part of this site. But, I see your point about the groups.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Some groups are sponsored, and have CafeMom employees running them (they are the ones with "Cafe as their screen name). Most groups here don't do that :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• They do this to keep the site active so the sponsors will still come around. It is how you are able to use the site free. Maybe it is time you took a break from the site if the magic is gone for you.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Maybe they'd have more activity if they let anyone join (not that they can't anyways), but it would increase traffic on the site and allow more chance at revenue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2010