So have you stopped giving an afternoon snack?

My MIL commented that DH and I should stop giving our son his afternoon snack because he wouldn't eat his dinner last night. It wasn't that he wasn't hungry (maybe not AS hungry as he should have been), he just didn't like what I made for him (leftover turkey and stuffing that I brought home from my company lunch--he ate some of the turkey, but refuses to try stuffing).

So seriously, have you stopped giving yours an afternoon snack to make sure they eat dinner?

BTW, once mine is back in daycare again, he'll be given a snack there anyway, so it wouldn't make sense to stop giving them to him now.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• No.. I don't really think it's fair to starve them up until dinner just so they will eat. Besides, that isn't guaranteed to work anyway. As long as the snack is a healthy one and not very filling then it should be fine.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Nope I still give one but it's not junk like cookies and such. Usually fruit. i would rather her eat a little thru the day than 3 big meals anyway. It's better on all of our bodies.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i havent given one in awhile to my oldest, but we eat dinner kinda early. but at the same time, i would never refuse my kid food if she said she was hungry.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• All three of mine get a snack after school. The oldest is 14.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My son is 6 and he always gets an afternoon snack. His lunch is at 11:15 and supper is normally at 6. That's a long time to go without something to hold him over.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My LO eats on demand. I try to keep it healthy. We still insist that she sits and eats some dinner and remains at the table. I think small meals often are better for you. That is the way I eat.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I wouldnt stop giving a snack ...just make sure its a healthy one.
    Jkat

Answer by Jkat at 11:12 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• no mine doesnt eat when its not something he likes so i give him fuit or something good in the afternoon after school
    2milesboys

Answer by 2milesboys at 11:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• nope..snack time is at 4PM around here
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• nope, mine eat an afternoon snack everyday after school, even the little ones. i figure if i feel like i need a snack then they probably do to.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2010