Your thoughts? Necessary?

I don't see any stats here. Have any blind people or joggers been run down by hybrids?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess it makes a certain amount of sense; there is a gentleman in our neighborhood that is blind who walks every day (alone, with a cane). It would be unsafe for him if he couldn't hear a car coming - one would think that the driver would be paying attention, but we all know that they don't always.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I haven't hit anyone with my Prius but I sure have scared the &ell out of quite a few. My car makes no sound while coasting. Hey I get 48.3 miles per gal. But it is an ugle car. I used to drive Mercedes and I loved my Mercedes. I just can't afford a new one now.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I hadn't heard this before, but it looks like the National Federation for the Blind have been trying to get automakers to do something since 2007. It sounds like they weren't really sure how to respond to the request at first. Here's one link I see with a statistic, but it doesn't seem much higher. I guess it could be a potential problem for blind people though. Not sure if making them louder is the answer or if teaching awareness about pedestrians would be better.

NHTSA Report

"According to the report, which aggregates accident reports from certain states, hybrid like the Toyota Prius were involved in pedestrian crashes at a rate of 0.9 percent, which was half again as high as the 0.6 percent rate for vehicles with gasoline engines...."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It was necessary. The silence is dangerous.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'm neither blind nor a jogger but I've nearly been hit.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2010