How do you get your 18 month old to eat with utensils on their own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD will be 17 months in a few days and she has been using them since like 12 months... Just have them there and offer them ... She just likes to be big and independent
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 12:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree with pp. Just offer them and he/she will use them eventually. Periodically show them how to use them. Don't worry Mom......there aren't many Kindergartners still only using their fingers....lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Alright, i guess im just a lil worried about the potential mess made lol, but thats what lil guys do when they are learning right? :)
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure ...i'd love to read the answers!! ...I offer my 15 month a spoon/fork each feeding and i'll help her do it ...but once I stop helping her.... she just loves to dig right in and use her hands.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It's messy! You just make sure the spoon or fork is there. As they get older, you start reminding them to use it. By the time they are 3, they should be pretty good about using it instead of their hands. Remember, at this age, the main goal for a toddler is to get the food into the mouth as quickly as possible. Your job is to give them time to realize that no one is going to steal their food, to teach them to chew and swallow each bite, and to give them the chance to learn to use the spoon.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Like some of the PPs said offer them try and teach the baby with a fork first and it will go from there. My son started on his own he was eating cutup hot dogs (my kid my choice) one day and grabbed a fork off the table and starting using it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My dd is 22 months old and sometimes she uses the spoon and fork and sometimes she just plays with them. They always end up on the floor at some point and she often eats from the opposite end. I just leave her alone and let her use them however whe wants.

Just because they aren't using a fork and spoon at this age doesn't mean you are going to have a 4 year old who can't use them. Don't worry about it. Just offer them like everyone else has said and they will use them when and how they want.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My son just turned 18 months and he has only been using his fork for a couple of weeks. He has not mastered the spoon yet. I just put both on the tray when he is eating and he would mainly just play with them. He has started to mimic us and I think that is how he started to use the fork.
    SamanthaSL

Answer by SamanthaSL at 8:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Set them out with the food, make him use it at least for the first few bites, then see if he graps it. My daughter 2yrs just started using spoons on her own, spontaneously
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2008