3 year old temper tantrums

I have a 3 year old that has temper tantrums/dramatics alot. What is the best way to try to get her to stop?

beeandlacismom

Asked by beeandlacismom at 9:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Send her to her room. She can spout all she wants but I don't have to hear it.

They are doing it to get attention. When you remove the ability to get attention, they generally stop.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• We have them from time to time. I remove her immediately. A couple days ago, we were at the grocery store and she started one. She sat down next to the shelf and refused to get up unless I gave her what she was asking for. (I do not even remember what it was.) I picked up her 39 pounds, grabbed my purse and left my cart full of groceries. (There were bananas in the cart.) She screamed all the way to the cart that "I need bananas." Embarrassing-yes, Necessary-yes. It is important to talk about what happened later. That way they can associate their behavior with the consequences.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• tootoobusy - been there with leaving groceries
    my daughter strted tantrums early bfore two
    she has autism, so some are because of that, but now that she is three almost a half, some are just three yr old tantrums

i have had therapists for her (autism) and one OT said about grovery stores, before you go in say No yelling, no crying or we leave" and i do leave, he said go to car put her in seat and when clams down go in and try again-even MORE embarassing, but i have done it

i usually do the ignore thing, no interaction at all, no attention-no audience for her, sometimes i go into other room and have loud enough fun with her toys, usually she finds that having a fit not as much fun as i am having in other room

i do not do time out in room, she has autism and spent last year plus engaging her to people, so time alone is not for us, but would work for 'normal' kids

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• also
    check her diet
    my child can nt have ANY artifical food dyes that are LAKE DYES
    red 40, yellow 5, blue 1 are biggest ones used
    red 40 makes her INSANE
    it is not the sugar in the candy that makes kids nuts, it is the LAKE dyes

look it up on internet
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I just let it run its course without paying attention to them. At home anyway. When we would be out, I would just do what you did, get them and leave. It does help to talk to them about it once the drama has subsided. They will grow out of it only to have them again, say at 16 when they don't get what they want. LOL.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 9:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I usually have him go to his bed not as a punishment, just to have a neutral place for him to calm down. It gives us both a little space so things don't escalate, and he usually calms right down. In fact, it got the point for a while where he would run to his bed whenever he got upset, even without being told. I've tried other things - time outs in the living room, for example - but nothing works like letting him go to his room to settle down a minute. Everything else I've tried has only helped to escalate the tantrum - with him anyway, I know every child is different. This is just what works with him. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• don't respond to her behavior by giving her what she wants. wait til she calms down a little bit (even if u have 2 listen to her scream and holler for a little while) you have to show her that she isn't going 2 get what she wants by acting out. when she calms down talk to her and get her to calmly tell you what it is that she wants and then explain to her that we don't get what we want by throwing tantrums. try not to get frustrated with her if she throws another tantrum later on. the main thing is to show her that she can't get a reaction out of you by using negative behavior. Good luck!
    Platinum_Mommy

Answer by Platinum_Mommy at 12:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• We just send Hayley to her room and ignore her for a little while. Daddy will go in there and give her a pep talk, I just tell her she's welcome to come out when she wants to stop being crazy.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 12:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2010