When do you think it's the most important time to be a stay at home mom?

I am a working mother. My son is going to be 2 in february and I will be due in May 2009 with my second child. I have really been considering becoming a stay at home mom after my second child is born. When do you think is the most important time? Do you think it is while they are babies and growing up or once they start school. Please your opinions would be greatly appeciated. I am so undecided.

miozotisv

Asked by miozotisv at 12:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think when they are babies, especially in the first 6 months when they are doing a ton of new things and when they start recognizing people. I wanted to stay at home for the whole first year but with the country in the economic disaster it just wasn't possible. But I got to stay home for the first 5 months and I am so grateful for that.

I think that once they start school is the perfect time to go back to work, because you can work while they are in school! And still be at home when they need you to be.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would say when their babies ...bc once their in school you can work during school hours. I work in a daycare and my 16 month is in the room with me ...I feel so bad for these parents that have their children in daycare that miss out on all the firsts. I could not imagine!!!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I plan on being a SAHM till all my kids are in school. If that is what you really want to do and are able to do so, go for it.

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• The first 5 years of their life are the most important. After they start school, time flies and the next thing you know, you say where did the time go. I stayed at home for the first 5 year,no, 6,because my youngest daughter couldn't start K until almost 6, and too me she learned sooooo much and did well in school.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think till they are in school full time. Which would be 1st grade. You can't get those years back, and theres nothing better then hanging out with your little ones watching them discover the world around them, learning how to talk, then talking your ear off, and all the funny things they say and do. I believe its the best bonding time, and learning about each other too. I would fall apart if I had to leave my kids every day.

I was my mom's assistant for her home day care, and although the parents loved their children, they seemed like strangers to them. They were with me 8-9 hours a day, and only with their parents for a few hours at night. It was kind of sad to see.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 2:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• The first few years, they are SUCH a learning experience, and if you are there to help those experiences along, and introduce the kids to new things, that would be awesome. We know (I have a degree in Early Childhood Edu) that early childhood education is the most important of all. It lays the foundation for everything they learn once they start school.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 2:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• For me the most important time is when they are babies. I missed my older son's first 10 months because I worked. I know I was home in the evenings but I missed his first steps. And my mother (who was keeping him for me) was all to glad to revel in that moment and I was heartbroken. So at his 10 month mark I left my job. I was already a SAHM when I had Zach (15 months) and it's been great. Granted money is tight but I'm here for my children. I was looking for a job after Austin started 1st grade and then found out I was pregnant with Zach!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think it is important to be a SAHM mom during those first 5 yrs. If you choose to send your children to school, then working is okay as long as you are available to your kids when they need you.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think being a sahm is most important to do when it works best for your family. If trying to live on one income is more stressful than two people working your probably going to be a better mom while working. I recomend the book miserly moms by Jonni Mccoy. It helped me come home for the birth of my son and hopefully stay home till he is well in to school. My mom was single mom who worked 50-60 hours a week but5 was always there for us. She was amazing. To answer your question the best time is when its best for you and your family. There is no right or wrong time. Good luck and hope you can come home! (dont forget part time option if you need it)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2008