Is your daughters cell phone always in her hand?

My 14 yr old daughter's cell phone is glued to her hand. I mean she NEVER puts it down! She even keeps it on her lap at the dinner table. When I tell her " please put the phone down" she snaps at me! Why do they always have to be in costant contact. I see adults do the same thing. They are no better. I mean really.

Jerzymom

Asked by Jerzymom at 10:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Do you pay her bill?? Take it away! Our rule, NO ELECTRONICS at the dinner table. No electronics in the bedroom after bedtime. We have a central charging station were all cell phones and ipods are docked every night.

She "snaps" at you, take the phone away. She's 14 for goodness sakes and doesn't need to be "plugged in" all the time. Be the parent and set boundaries.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I have 3 teens and they're all like that. We do have a few rules about it, though. If I'm driving them somewhere and they're in the front passenger seat, they need to be conversing with me, not texting or talking on the phone. I'm not the chauffeur, I'm their mother. Also, phones are to be OFF when we're eating meals, either at home or our somewhere. I told them that unless they're a brain surgeon or working as an advisor to the President, they don't need to be in constant contact. Adults who act like that drive me nuts, too!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't think I would recognize my 16 year old daughter without her phone in her hand. LOL Drives me nuts, but I guess there are worse things she could be doing.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 10:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yes you are absolutely right. She could be doing worse things. Just needed to vent a little. Thanks ;o)
    Jerzymom

Comment by Jerzymom (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I am also attached to my phone. But you need to take control. She needs to have limits and be able to live with them. This is your job as a parent to teach her how to deal with limits and how to deal with the people in power. You are the person with the power. Help her learn to deal with this appropriately.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• hahaha that's funny ceallaigh. I like your answer.
    Jerzymom

Comment by Jerzymom (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yes I know what you mean but my daughter is 24 as of today. It's a girl thing but you are the parent and she is still a child. I agree with ceallaigh, there need to be some ground rules and that snapping at you thing needs to be put in check. Use that phone as a way to put your message across. Let her know that it can and will be taken if she does not get things change her attitude and break the rules you set on it's use.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Mine is 14 and i think she will stop breathing sometimes without hers BUT no phone during dinner PERIOD and at 9 pm at bedtime the phone gets turned off. That is everyday regardless of weekeds or anything else.

And if she is doing chores or something I need her to do she better just leave the phone somewhere. Her friends arent dying and can wait until she gets done.

I also enforce those rules for ANY child who comes to stay at our home. Dont come over and not interact with my child when you asked to spend the night because ur on the damn phone.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't have a daughter but I can say that my sons are all pretty attached to their cell phones. The older 2 were adults when they got their 1st cell phones because they were expensive to have when they were teens (they are 23 and 24) but our younger 2 have had cell phones since they were 14 and 15 (they are 19 and 20). We always had rules...no phones at the supper table, no phones while we were out as a family and their phones had to be off at 10p on school nights. My 19yo son is the worst...I swear he has velcrove surgically attached to his right hand for his cell phone...LOL
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Mine won't detach from her laptop for long at but doesn't have the same problem with her phone. However, she does snap sometimes when interrupted and gets reprimanded. There have to be times when you have to insist they switch off or put the phone/ laptop away.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 5:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010