LIVID!

I have a 10 month old Golden Retriever for whom I payed a fortune. This dog is treated like one of my kids. He has his license, all his shots, is protected monthly from fleas and heart worm. He is groomed on a regular basis. We LOVE this dog. Yesterday my 19 yr old DD called me at work to tell me a cruelty investigator from the Humane Soc, came to the door, asking if we had a dog. When DD said yes, the lady proceeded to tell my DD that they had gotten a call saying we had left a "puppy" out for over an hour. We are in NW OH and it is in the teens here. I have no fenced yard, no tie out, no dog house, no kennel, no dog run etc. Our dog goes out on a leash, and does his biz and is back inside. I am not trying to have a muddy, wet, cold dog all over my house. We walk him on our treadmill lol, and take him for walks twice a day outdoors when the weather permits. I do NOT for the life of me know why someone would call and say something like this! We have no conflict with neighbors...most of them know Tucker and love him, he is kind of like the block pet. Why on earth would a person with no fenced in yard spend a thousand dollars on a dog to turn it out in the cold, turn their back on it for "over an hour" and expect the dog to still be in the yard when they returned? Why do people do crap like make phony phone calls on innocent people? Anyone who knows us know we are more than responsible pet owners. I left the HS woman a voicemail and of course she has not called me back!  I want so badly to know who is the dumb ass behind this call.  Should I keep calling the HS, or let it go?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 10:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Let it go

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I dont think they'll give you the name. Some ppl just like to create drama.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I empathize, but I seriously doubt they will give you a name. Sorry.
    tialynne1965

Answer by tialynne1965 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't expect them to give me the name, but I do expect some details as to the complaint. I would think the burden of proof is on the dumbass making the call is it not? I would love to see just what validity this idiot thinks they have regarding this call.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would let it go until they say they got another call. The only time I had to fight anything because of my dog was because my neighbor said that my dog bit someone(she did not) when it was their dog and they didnt want their dog taken away. DH and I were pissed about that. But just let it go. And it sounds like you have a great dog....I wish my landlord would let us keep our dogs inside....thankfully it dosnt get that cold here =) we can only bring them into the garage at night....

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would let it be
    MsLouLou

Answer by MsLouLou at 10:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Keep calling. I had issues a few years ago with one dog I owned, I had to tie her up when she was out side because she would break through an electric fence, chewed through several gates (I spent five grand replacing my parents fencing) and so on and one neighbor kept calling and complaining about me neglecting my dog. My dog had shelter, water, food and her tie was way longer than the state law wanted, her area was picked up daily so she wasn't walking in her own crap. If it was to hot out side, she came in, if it was cold, she came in, if it was anything but nice weather, she came in. We only left her out side because when inside she would chew on things and destroy stuff. (she hadn't always been like that) well we talked and worked with the HS, showed her everything, said she can come and do random checks for the next three weeks so she would know I wasn't lying
    Cont..
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• unfortunately, people do it all the time. It really does not matter how much someone paid for the dog that does not guarantee that the dog will be properly cared for.  As far as why some one would call maybe they witnessed one of your kids doing this.  I had neighbors where the kids would do this when their mom was not home or the person who called saw a differant dog and thought it was yours who knows.  I'd let it go.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• and she did, she came two more times and everything checked out each time. So want to know what they did next? They ticketed and fined the person calling and complaining for false accusations.
    So yes, it is a good thing to keep in contact and work with them. They are smart people and can tell when an animal is being miss treated and when they are not. they don't want to take a dog especially since they have no room for it at their shelter. And who knows, maybe the person making the complaints will be fined and learn a lesson OR it could have been a mistake and they had the wrong house?
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I realise paying a lot for a dog does not make a responsible pet owner, my point is, I have no fence, so to spend that kind of money on a dog, and then turn it out unattended for over an hour is stupid...the dog would run off. What 10 month old Golden do you expect to stay put with no fence and no one watching?
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2010