I am a birthmother that has been reunited with daughter wanted to get her a Christmas Present not sure what.

I have been reunited for two years. We are not close. She keeps her distant but I do like to get her presents. Her birthday is Jan.1st so I like to get two different gifts. I have been racking my brain for something special. She is 20. I have given her jewelry ( she is not a big jewelry person). A nice photo album with pictures of me and siblings. Any ideas would be great. I am having a hard time this year coming up with something. She lives in New Hampshire and I in Pa. So I need to get it in the mail. Thanks for any suggestions 

ramajil

Asked by ramajil at 10:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Adoption

• Try thingsrememberd.com they have a lot of stuff on that site.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• you have the right idea: take an interest she has (so you notice who she is and what she likes - you're paying attention and it shows) but making it unique. Unique and special does not mean having to go over board. If the cook book option appeals to you - find vintage cookbooks. Like Julia Child's art of French cooking. Not new versions. But a note to say you found these and thought of her passion for cooking. Simple.  And adding a recipe that you make or is unique to your family.  You do not have to push this is passed on.  Over the years you can add some to it.  Or...apron, vintage cookbook, and the name tag has a family recipe.  That would be my personal favorite.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• What are her interests?
    TigerofMu

Answer by TigerofMu at 10:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Probably a blanket with her name monogramed on it.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I was going to say a birthstone necklace or earings but since you are not close and she isn't into jewelry I'd try to find a local nail place or massage place and send her a gift cert. There is always iTunes and movie giftcards also. I'd think more along the lines of a friendship gift than anything else
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 10:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Maybe a gift card Williams Sonoma or Pampered Chef then?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Perhaps a profession apron with her initial elegantly and professionally monogrammed on it.  Who knows....she could have that apron for the next 40 years.  You can have sewn into the tag a gentle saying: nurturing the soul through nurturing the body.  Olive oil glass containers she can refill with the essential oils she uses.  One that can be refilled but expensive.  You can put a label around it.  With cooking you can do just about anything.  Even go and get an expensive gaget at an expensive cooking store with a nice note.  Knowing she is a little more reserved...I would go with the idea it is the thought that counts and the note very light - not refering to your relationship.  Lets her know you are thinking and trying but not pushing.  If she loves nature an actual small tree to grow and nurture.  A tree is strong and rooted in its own history. You know the meaning without having to say it to her.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:12 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I was adopted and was also reunited with my biological Mother. I suggest something that is not materialistic. Maybe a Family Tree or something reflecting family history.
    Or something pertaining to her interests......
    I can relate to the distance...even a simple card would be sweet. Or maybe gift card for the movies or coffee....These types of gifts are sweet and thoughtful..but not to envasive.
    Hope this helps. :) Good Luck! :)
    Michelle
    coffeebreak8

Answer by coffeebreak8 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Gift certificate to a restaurant chain?
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• A quilt? Clinique face wash, toner and cream? (I got this as a gift and really loved it) Body creams from Bath and Body works? Really good slippers from BrookStone or LL Bean?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2010