Gift idea's for a blind person

My father-in-law is blind and I'm having a heck of a time coming up with gift idea's for him. I bought him one of those talking watches last year, and he loves it and uses it every day. I have tried googling around for idea's but mostly it's like books on tape and other things I know he wouldn't use much. Anyone else maybe have a practical gift idea? He enjoys music, but already has an MP3 player. He's diabetic as well. Haha, we all gotta have that one hard to shop for person =)

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 10:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Shopping

• http://www.independentliving.com/products.asp?dept=48&pagenumber=1&deptname=Board Games&sortBy=

Check this site out....they have some awsome board games that he might find fun. I know with a blind person in the family they usualy dont take part in things like this but the pices come with a brail overlay on them. There is also a bunch of other stuff on here. Im going to keep looking....By the way my dad gave me this site...his uncle was blind so he isused to finding things like this....hope this helps!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• This website has a lot of items to help with independence. http://www.maxiaids.com/store/default.asp

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Hm, does it have to be something for a blind person? That watch sounds awesome but maybe this year you could get him a "regular" gift? ...like a nice shirt, socks, new CD/iTunes gift card, Hickory Farms basket (my dad loves those), new shoes, keychain, etc. Good luck!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Well, I was looking for gift idea's to give him a little bit of freedom from relying on other people. Like the watch I got him last year, now instead of asking people for the time, he can press a button and the watch will tell him. Does that make sense?

I will go the route of a 'regular' gift if I'm unable to come up with any better idea's.
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I was going to suggest a "regular" gift as well. Maybe a nice soft blanket for the bed, or something like that. FelipesMom had a great idea- if FIL likes his MP3, get him an iTunes gift card. Something original always goes over well, too. My parents have 2 dogs that they love like children, & our gift to them was paying for the dogs' grooming for the year. They loved it! Hope you think of something good!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The iTunes gift card is a great idea since he likes music....but other then that im not sure....Ill see what i can find and let you know if i come up with something. Happy shopping!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Does he have the new diabetic meter? You don't have to do an finger stick to get the diabetics current sugar reading. You just put your finger inside the open area and it reads your sugar and it (talks and tells you your sugar levels). It's free if anyone recieves medicade or medicare. Don't remember the name but saw it on a t.v. commercial. Googling is always an option to find out the lastest sites you can go to and find any particular subject your searching for. Good Luck!
    tulipskiss311

Answer by tulipskiss311 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Thanks so much ladies for those websites. I'm going to go check them out right now =)

I wish he knew how to read brail. He hasn't been blind that long, within the last year and a half completely, so he's still adjusting. That's why I thought things that would help him be a little bit more independent would be a great way to go. Thanks again, I see that one sight has a Spanish speaking section which is wonderful because he's Mexican and speaks very very little English. =D
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My BIL is legally blind and usually all he wants is a coin purse he likes. He wears them out but likes a certain kind so I get that for him and a back scratcher. No one has to be blind to use that but when he's alone he doesn't have to suffer waiting for someone to come help him scratch his back. I love those. Just for stocking stuffers though. I'm sure there are other great gifts out there as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010