Offensive T-shirt because it says Atheist?

On Monday, the City Council of Cape Coral Florida held a vote to maintain their practice of holding religious invocations at the start of their meetings. At the very same meeting, they threatened Atheists in attendance with arrest if they wore their t-shirts, which proclaimed themselves to be Atheists.

http://www.examiner.com/humanism-freethought-in-tampa-bay/city-of-cape-coral-harasses-atheists-at-meeting

KristiS11384

Asked by KristiS11384 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Why do American Christians hate their Constitution so much? 

Arresting someone because of a t-shirt is a violation of freedom of speech and freedom of religion.   Is it not?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• What most people don't know is that the Pledge of Allegiance did say "One nation, indivisible" until 1954. Congress added "under God" because of communism. Anyways, back to the story. What I don't get is how they were going to arrest them for wearing the shirts. What were they going to charge them with?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Just like the billboard that says the same, I never would have even thought about the "One nation, indivisible" as an atheist message until it was pointed out. I think it's a great message, and I would like one of those shirts.
    If you want to talk about possibly offensive t-shirts, go ahead and browse through my husband's closet...
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• That is irony at its finest.  Finding the t-shirt that doesn't hold any religious message or any hateful message at all offensive, yet voting to continue government-sanctioned prayer at public meetings?  I agree with the following statement from the original link:

Why this is disturbing: A city mayor along with his city council is steadfastly supporting government prayer while trying to eject Atheists simply for being Atheists.

It is very disturbing.  Ignore the First Amendment, hold a prayer, rather than a moment of silence, and target Atheists for wearing a t-shirt with such an innocuous message?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't think it matters whether the shirt is offensive to some or not. We don't have the right to not be offended. And I don't see how arresting someone for their choice in a shirt is even something that could be possible. Not to mention it doesn't seem to me that they really care whether or not they offend anyone with their "religious invocations"....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It offends me. But we have to allow them their freedom whether we agree or not. [christy_lvr]

Why and what exactly offends you? The t-shirt with the original pledge or the city council opening with a religious invocation? One action is Constitutional and one is not.

I'm guessing they would try to charge them with disturbing the peace, which from what I can tell, they were not doing. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with an atheist.....how can you discrimnate against their way of believing or not believing? That is so unfair.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I find the mayor very offensive. I smell a big lawsuit coming on if he actually has anyone arrested.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• What a bunch of crap. Hypocritical crap.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• This just baffles me. What a bunch of hypocrites. Violate the First Amendment and then harass someone for Freedom of Speech. There's nothing offensive about the shirt, and I'm pretty sure they don't have any legal grounds for removing him since they didn't provide him with proof of the dress code and backed down from the threats. I would be one thing if this was about a city employee who had to follow a particular dress code, but this is a CITIZEN who should have the same rights to speak and participate as everyone else.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2010