T V in your kids room

I have been avoiding to put a tv in my kids room. I have 3 kids. If I do it for one I have to do it for all of them. I mean, how many do you need. We already have 2. One in the living room and one downstairs in the "playroom". They come home from a friends house and I hear so in so has a tv and a computer in their room". Well maybe so in sos Daddy makes more money and their mommy works full time. I just feel that having a tv in their rooms only separates the family more. My friend says her son is always in his room and hardly sees him. I like to "talk" to my kids, be involved. What are your thoughts?

Jerzymom

Asked by Jerzymom at 11:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• We choose not to have electronics other than clocks or music players in any bedrooms in our home. If my teen had a tv or computer in her room we'd never see her. I think having the electronics in a centralized location promotes family togetherness and allows parents to do a better job of monitoring what their kids are watching and doing. Also, having to share the electronics in the family room helps limit tv and computer time for everyone in the family since we have to take turns choosing programming.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't allow tvs in my kids rooms for exactly that reason. I like to watch with them and have them in the room with me (our downstairs is open, so even if I'm in the kitchen I'm in the "same room" as the living room.)

Answer by missanc at 11:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If you have one in the play room I wouldnt put one in each room.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• my son is 17 months old and when we gave him his own room he got his own tv. it helps him sleep (hes scared of the dark and of no noise.) it does help alot. we keep the sprout channel on for him when hes playing (is a preschool channel) and he has learned alot... and its nonstop thomas the train and stuff like that. it helps when they have one but its all up to you and what you like!! =)
    Meghan6391

Answer by Meghan6391 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Nope. We have one television. Period. It is in the family room. Either we watch something together or we don't watch. I am not negotiable on this.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My son has a TV in his room, but he never watches it. He never even goes in his room unless it's to drag out more junk to take into the living room.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My son has a tv in his room and we are still involved in his life and with each other. You just have to make rules and boundaries for it. As far as you have to do it for all, you could do what my parents did. Once we turned a certain age, then we got to have a tv in our room. I was the oldest and I got a tv in my room when I was 14.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I have 3 teens and they've never had a tv or computer in their rooms. We have 2 tvs and we've all learned to take turns watching what we wanted and we've even gotten to watch things together. I taught my kids when they were little that I didn't care what anyone else had, they didn't live at so-and-so's house.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My kids have no TVs in their rooms or toys. They need a place to sleep, and a place for punishment. They have a huge playroom with all their toys and TV.

Drives me crazy when my kids say well so, and so has this or that.

WE aren't so, and so and I'm not their mother.

I wouldn't do it. Just my opinion though. Sounds like you have your mind made up anyway.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't let a tv to go into any bedroom. For what? There are enough destruction that the world make killing a relationship, like work, money, etc. No tv in the bedroom. It is a place to sleep:P
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2010