How do you deal with a high maintenance one year old

DS turns one this month, he was great until he turned 11 months, then suddenly, this very clingy and overly demanding baby appeared. I can't get anything done. I can't put him down for a minute or he starts to scream. I have even ordered a sling so I can at least try and get things done while holding him. Some days I am just watching the clock counting down the minutes until nap or bedtime. He will play as long as I am right there next to him, but if I get up to try and do ANYTHING he starts to scream. I feel for my dd whom seems to not get as much attention anymore because I am constantly trying to keep Ds happy. She has started have a lot more "moments" because Mommy is to busy with the baby. So, I'm just wondering, if you have a baby that is high maintenance, how do you cope? How do you get things done and pay attention to your other children too. Hubby is deployed and I don't have family around so getting a sitter is not an option unless I let a stranger take care of him, and that's not happening.

airmanswifey02

Asked by airmanswifey02 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One suggestion-- do you have teens or tweens who live near you? If so consider hiring them to be a 'mothers helper'. They come over when you are home, and they entertain and play with the kids while you get things done around the house. When I was young I was a 'mothers helper' for my neighbor and she really appreciated it. A few years ago I hired a friends daughter to be mothers helper for me, and it worked out great! She played with the kids and I was able to get housework done, and even do my at home data job as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• OMG...everything you just explained is EXACTLY like my son! I am wondering the same thing..and I even thought about the sling thing as well. I will be checking back to see your answer! :) Good Luck, I'll be praying for both of us...LOL!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It is the age when they do that. You make it worse if you let her get your attention like this. Just let her scream. After a time she will get used to it that mummy won't carry her all the time. She needs to play by herself. Get a travel cod and put her in if you have to do something. Keep her in the same room where you are. So she can see you but she won't distract you. Your job is not making your child always happy. Your job is being a good mummy. And it contains not to let the child cling on you but do their own things what is learning in this age. IF you let her cling on you, it means you cling on her. Make time for everything (espec for your other child). Your baby will get used not to be in your hand all the time. If you don't start to teach her now, she will do this in the next 30 years...

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I couldn't agree more with what you said adrienn
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It's separation anxiety and VERY normal for this age. He's learning to trust that you will always be there when he needs you and once he's sure of that, he will settle back down.

Include him in what you are doing. Folding laundry? Great, he can "help" with the socks. Playing with big sister? No reason he can't play too. Dishes? Set him up in his high chair next to the sink with a few things to play with. The sling will help... hip carry is great for a one-shoulder sling. We have an ergo and DS will just hang out on my back while I do whatever needs doing.

It passes, it really does. And ignoring him WON'T make it pass any quicker.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I have to wait a week to get the sling, I ordered it online. Do you know how to make a temporary one out of a flat sheet?
    airmanswifey02

Comment by airmanswifey02 (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• bump
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2011