Nearly pulling his hair out at one point, Stewart expressed his annoyance at "the party that turned 9/11 into a catchphrase" now blocking legislation to help its heroes.

Stewart has probably spent more segments this year on the legislation known as the Zadroga bill than any other topic. The bill would provide $7 billion in benefits for those who first responded on 9/11 and are now experiencing subsequent health problems such as cancer and respiratory disease. While it has passed in the House, Senate Republicans are filibustering it so that it doesn't pass in the Senate.

watch video, any thoughts?

mommom2000

Asked by mommom2000 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you are missing a very big point here.  What matters most is that the tax-cuts for the wealthy were saved!!  Hallelujah!  Obviously, that means that those millionaires will now be able to hire those first responders who are no longer able to work for the City of New York, pay them handsomely, and provide excellent health insurance.  See?  The problem has already been solved.  Those first responders don't need money given to them for merely risking their very lives by doing their jobs as much as the wealthy need to keep that extra tax money for themselves--which of course will make its way back into the economy (somehow).  As we all know, we can't afford to fund things like Zadroga, but we can afford to give tax breaks to millionaires.  We have our priorities. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I watched the episode. As usual, he's right. It's sick, and I've thought for years the way those men and women were being treated was sick...from day one, when the EPA told ALL OF NEW YORK that the air was safe to breathe, until today, right this second, the greatest among us are paid lip service by the pundits and power hungry, while at the same time being allowed to live and die with little to no care for the injuries they received in service to their fellow man.

Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• GOOD FOR HIM!!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Anyone who participates or endorses this filibuster (even those who do it silently, by not standing up and saying THIS IS WRONG) should be very, very ashamed of themselves.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• As we all know, we can't afford to fund things like Zadroga, but we can afford to give tax breaks to millionaires. We have our priorities. . .

Answer by jsbenkert 34 minutes ago

---------------------------
    Grrrr, that sucks. I voted you UP again.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• That's very sad that Al Jazeera is giving it more coverage than any of our networks. This makes me feel even more disgusted than usual about a certain 'news' network and political party.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The people that give most coverage too our soldiers and the 9/11 tragedy are comedians and thats a F;ing disgrace

Those HERO's didn't hesitate to run in to a terrorist attack and SAVE our citizens

Why in the HELL are we hesitating?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• ia gree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• *crickets chirping*
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 3:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I totally agree with Stewart. I usually don't make statements for or against any particular political party, but I am totally ashamed of and angered by those Senate Republicans.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 5:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010