When did you stop giving your baby formula and start them on regular milk?

My daughters almost 11 months old and Ive already been giving her 1-2 bottles of regular milk for about 2 months now and it doesn't bother her. I think she'd be fine on it and it doesn't give her any problems. Of course I have a know it all friend who thinks I should wait til after she's a year old.

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• At the advice of my grandma, uncle, and then my son's doctor I switched him at 9 months to whole milk. He couldn't keep down ANY brand of formula and was eating a well balanced diet of real food. I only offered it in a sippy cup, no bottles. Although most doctors advise one year of age. My son scores high on all verbal tests and speaks clearly enough that anyone and everyone can understand him (He'll be 4 in January) I don't think a month will make a huge difference.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Know it all friend is right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• my oldest 2 were both 11 months when they got milk, my youngest is lactose intolerant so he couldnt have milk
    2milesboys

Answer by 2milesboys at 11:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• You are supposed to wait until she is 12 months. They need the extra nutrition in formula before that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My boys were 12-13 mo old when they started on regular milk. I waited till the doctor gave the ok, and then after their 1st birthday I switched them to milk when the formula was all used up.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Mine went straight from breast to sippy cups of milk around 11-12 months.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Around 11 or 12 months
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The doctors will tell you to wait until they are a year, but I don't see the harm in a month.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The day after her brithday, my DD was switched to milk and we never looked back.
    But your friend is right.. they need to nutrients in the formula before that. WHY did you start them that early?
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I waited until my son was about 11 1/2 months. I think it all depends on the child. If yours has no problems with regular milk then I say it's okay.
    austysmommy

Answer by austysmommy at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010