A "Lawyer" just called me... I need advise

5 Years ago my high school boyfriend got me pregnant, then he up and left me after I told him for another girl. I was relived since was abusive. Long story short and I dont want to go into major details but I lost my daughter half way through the pregnancy. My ex never knew I lost her till over a year later when he stole my address and number from his job (He worked for the cell phone carrier I went through) He didn't say anything then.
4 years after that he found me again, this time I have no idea how he got my new address and phone number. Creepy thing he he contacted me a week right after I moved into my new place. He asked about the baby because he saw a picture on facebook on my niece and my two kids. He thought the girl was he's. I told him no and told him the story but I also said that the baby wasn't his becuase he forfeit all his rights to be a father the minute he walked away. He had no problems with me saying this said he understood and agreed. Few months have passed.
Now I get a call from a "lawyer" I think its just one of his friends or family members trying to scare me. Saying I am required to tell him where my daughter is buried. (Little does he know she was never buried, she was cremated) Said I'm facing fines and jail time if I dont tell. I told them to bring it on and hung up. A DNA test was never done so there is no proof she was his. If this was a real lawyer. I'm I pretty much right? Even if there was a DNA I still refuses because I feel he doesnt have a right since it's been almost 5 years since i lost her and he is now asking. Also I really do think he forfeit all parenting rights the minute he walked away. He will never know where her ashes are.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you'd get a letter prior to any phone contact, at least I always have when lawyers are involved. Plus that doesn't sound very professional.

It sounds like b.s. and I wouldn't give it another thought unless you get an actual letter from a law office.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'm pretty sure you are not required to tell him anything. But I could be wrong.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• you are not required to tell him anything unless the baby was actually born and he signed a birth certificate and then the baby died, since thats not the case, he has no rights
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• you dont have to tell him anything and you can get HIM in trouble for harrassment since he stole you phone and address
    2milesboys

Answer by 2milesboys at 11:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• He doesn't have a leg to stand on in this. Don't worry.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think you are being scared into telling ignore the bastard!

Answer by older at 11:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Still, I would recommend you contacting an attorney for a free consultation. If nothing else, maybe the attorney could contact him and tell him to buzz off....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. You're probably right that it's just one of his buddies trying to scare you or harass you. I wouldn't do anything about it unless and until you get an official letter from a real attorney.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Well Since I know a little more of the story. Get your past medical history from the hospital you lost and the case should be closed instantly. There isn't much a lawyer can do in this situation and since it was so long ago.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about the phone call. There isn't much he can do at this point. I would, however, contact the DA's office about a restraining order. The last thing you need is to have him back in your life. Best of luck to you and sorry about your loss.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 11:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2010