pregnant and was getting the depo shot..

My sister has been getting the depo shot since may and just found out she is pregnant and due in feb 1st. SHe has had regular periods and didn't think anything of it. SHe has no insurance and was seen at the free clinic. I told her to sign up for medicade which she has done and they are sending her to a hospital about 45 min away from her house. I am trying to get everything changed for her so she can see a specialist and go to a hospital closer where she doesn't have to share a room with people. NOw the question is has anyone ever got prengant on depo? She was told she couldn't even get pregnant cause the shot was starting early meno ( she is only 22). I am scared for her cause she doesn't know what she is doing and isn't sure what things need to be done while pregnant. I am going to set up as much as I can for her cause I really would like her to get the best care for her and the baby ( it's a boy) I am going to do what I can for her and I am going to try and take her to the hospital for appointments but its hard when you have 3 kids but I am going to do what I can..

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 11:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Depo is 99% effective when used correctly. Was she getting her shot every three months? I was on it for a while and my period stopped. Had she just recently started it?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I got pregnant on the depo but I couldnt tell you the health risk since I lost my baby but my mother got pregnant on the depo and they said there are risk of down syndrome
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• true. when ever you get the depo you still have to use condoms and all that. and if she was having her period on the depo. i probably means it was not working for her. my mom had the same problem. only bc she was on the depo she got pregnant with twins. it worked the opposite.
    2010mommy0914

Answer by 2010mommy0914 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• She was on the shot for 5 years and was getting it regularly, she always had a period on the shot it was light and lasted about 3 -4 days with it. So when she got it each month she didn't think anything of it and continued to get the shot. Her BF said she was getting kinda big and asked her to take a test and she did and it was positive. She got in at the free cliinic and they did an ultrasound and she is far along and isn't showing ( she is a bigger girl.)
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• They said not to do the depo for more then 5 years becasue it will no longer work.
    If I were her I would go see a regukar doctor and not one from a free clinic. There is a place near pioneer here if you do a pregnancy test and it comes out positive they sign you up for this thing called baby and me and its free health insurance pretty much for a month gives her time to get on medicade
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• ummmm. that sux. im planning on getting the shot at my 6 week checkup in jan. i think i might rethink my options!!! lol. sorry! and good luck to her and the new baby!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I told her not to go to clinic anymore cause I don't think they will care for her. The clinic gave her the info on baby your baby and so they set her up but she doesn't have a doctor and I don't want her going to death valley..
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I have gotten pregnant twice on depo at 19 and now at 20 (right after giving birth i got the shot and got pregnant soon after lol) i have some many friends on it that say its awesome they havent gotten pregnant then i have some friends that cant get pregnant after using and then there is a few of us it just doesnt seem to work for at all ... all i know is its horrible birth control
    Roxeybunnie

Answer by Roxeybunnie at 1:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i took the depo and couldnt get pregnant for 2 years afterwards, every body is diefferent!!!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 3:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

courtneycra