snake info?

ok i'm house sitting for my sister who has a snake. she left a rat (alive) in there for it to eat.. but instead of the snake eating the rat the rat was like eating the snake. i called her up and asked her what to do. I ended up taking the rat out, but the poor snake is really beat up, can i do anything to help the snake heal?

Ambreelulu

Asked by Ambreelulu at 1:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Pets

• Actually this happens quite often. First, did she give you specific instructions to feed it live or were you supposed to knock it out first? Second, the rat may have been too large for the snake to eat. If the snake didn't strike it properly and the rat was able to bite it...the snake would have backed down and the rat then became the aggressor....it's very common...that's why you should always supervise any live feedings. My own ball got bit by her first rat...for over a year she would run from them, took us forever to get her to strike on again.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• thats strange. It sounds like hes sick to begin with and he may need to see a vet. Snakes wont eat unless they're hungry but they def wouldnt let their dinner attack them! I would leave him be. I really dont think that you can help him yourself. Wait until your sister gets home. Or maybe you can call a vet in your area and ask them for advice. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree that is very strange, it does sound like he's sick. Do you have anything smaller for him to try to eat? Maybe just some crickets or even some baby mice? I would definitely call a vet to see if there is anything else you can do for him. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• call an exotic pets vet, ask your friend if they already have one - or call a very reputable reptile store - they can give you advice

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 4:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• strange because a snake would really attack that rat, for even sniffing him, he sure does sound sick make sure his heat lamps and heat rocks are on
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my ex's snake got bit by a rat...my ex's mom had to take the snake to a vet..it was a huge ball python. it doesnt sound strange to me. if the rat's left in there long enough and the snake doesnt eat the rat, the rat's gonna get hungry too. of course there's no food in there for the rat since It's the food..my ex's snake wasnt sick either..just wasnt hungry and got bit...ive heard of it on a few different occasions as well
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• it was already in there when we came to house sit... we weren't supposed to knock it out or anything. we did put crackers in there for the rat but it ended up eating the crackers and then still biting the snake
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 12:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008