Define a "NON-believer", please?

"Define Non-believer please. I may not believe what you believe, but I believe in something. So,what do you mean by the term "Non-believer"???"

~crafty26

I personally don't believe exactly what Pagans, Wiccans, Christians, Nuabians, Athiest, and etc. believe in, but we do share some beliefs. And by beliefs, I mean things that I assume could be true based on the knowledge I've accumulated about the matter. However, I am a believer in many things. They just don't happen to be common things, or "the norm".

SO, can anyone share with me the definition of a non-believer.

confused

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• most of the time people who are Christians refer to everyone who dosen't believe in God as "non believers"
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• hmmm. non believer. for example. lets say i belive chris is white and the devil is black. but you believe they are both black. you still believe in the lord so therefore u are a believer. but you just have your own opinions about the matter. if i knew more about your situation i could further more explain. if u want you can pm me.
    2010mommy0914

Answer by 2010mommy0914 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would define a non believer as someone who doesn't believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he came to earth to save us because we are sinners. It doesn't mean you don't believe in anything.
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 11:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think it depends on the perspective of the person you are asking, and the degree of zealotry of that person. Ask some Christians to define "non-believer" and they will tell you that it is anyone who doesn't believe in the Christian faith. Ask some Muslims, and the answer would be anyone who does not believe in Islam. I suppose it could mean anyone who doesn't subscribe to a religion, but as you pointed out, everyone believes in something, whether it is something tangible and can be proven scientifically, or whether it is something that relies purely on faith.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The term non-believer is used differently by different people. If you ask a question of Christians and "non-believers" then by default non-believer would mean anyone not Christian. Unless of course the person asking the question is just being forgetful of all the other religions/beliefs out there. Then there are those who use the term to describe atheists or anyone that does not believe in a god. I do become confused sometimes on the questions to non-believers. I'm not always sure as to whether I should answer since I'm not a Christian but I still believe in God.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• To me, non-believer is nothing more than an indicator that I'm talking to a very naive (or self-important) Christian who doesn't think about the actual meaning of the words they use. I base this on the context in which it is used 99.9% of the time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Depends on the topic of conversation. If I walked into a room full of flat-earthers, I would be a non-believer in the earth being flat (yes, they do exist).

Usually I tend to use it in terms of any religious beliefs since I have none.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would normally say one who doesn't believe in God but a good point is made about believing different things.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 12:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• ugg...i hate that word! mainly cause its incorrect (everyone believes something or other) and its usually used with such a snotty attitude.

in this section its almost always used by a Christian to insinuate another is non-Christian and on rare occasions its used in place of Atheist. i mean honestly, how hard is it to type "non-Christian" instead?!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• LOL Simple, someone who doesn't believe. The definition refers to any number of things. I don't see any reason to insinuate it only refers to one thing.,
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010