What should a 2yr old be able to do?

I'm so confused about what my son should be able to do by now. He doesn't talk a lot, but he babbles all day long. We work on counting and abc's but it doesn't seem like he's picking things up yet. When I talk to other moms I constantly feel like my son is very behind.

Does anyone know what is normal?

toykeymama

Asked by toykeymama at 11:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A two year old should be able to walk alone, pull toys behind him, start to learn to run, kick a ball, climb onto and down from furniture unassisted, dump things out of containers, point to pictures or objects, recognize familar faces, people and body parts, say single words and simple phrases, follow simple instructions, begin to sort things by shapes and sizes, immitate behavior of othes and begin to show defiant behavior (the word "no" comes into play).

By the time the child is 3 years old, a child should be able to climb well, walk up and down stairs alternating feet, run easily, pedal a tricycle, turn book pages, turn rotating handles, understand most sentences, understand physical relations like on, under and over, speak in 4 or 5 word sentences, know his name, age, and sex, uses pronouns (I, you, me), some plurals, and be understood by strangers

Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i don't think the word normal is to be used with children of such a young age. they all develop so differently .did you talk to your doctor? at my daughters 18months visit they gave me this long questionaire to fill out. maybe you can look into that. call the doctors office and ask for appointment to discuss it if you are concerned. my dd is not counting or doing abc;s. she does speak but she babbles too. she is 21months. as long as you understand him and he points to things and gets his thoughts across i do not think you have anything to worry about. comparing him to another child is not going to help really. good luck. enjoy the silence before you know it he will be talking off your ear
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• my son is 2 and babbles too. they will talk when they want to. i wouldnt worry till they hit 3. sometimes they will babble then i hear "thank you" and then more babble. no worries
    hlmommy

Answer by hlmommy at 11:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I agree, at two he is still too young to be "developmentally" behind because all kids learn different things at different ages. I know 3, 4 and 5 year olds who don't know their letters, number and/or colors.

One thing I will say as far as speaking is that as a parent you can work with him on that. Read to him every chance you get, talk to him as you're doing this or doing that. So, if you're doing laudry, tell him, "Mommy is folding the laundry. This is __'s shirt, it is red and has white stripes." When you're doing the dishes tell him, "Mommy is doing the dishes, we have to clean up all the dishes when we are done eating." When you're picking up toys, tell him, "I need you to pick up your train (or car, or whatever). What color is that train? Is it red? Good job!" Those types of things, just constantly talk to him and he will definitely pick up the words.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Mine just turned 2 last week. She is able to count to 10 but i think it's because she gets help from her 4 year old sister. And trust me, she just started doing this a couple weeks ago. I actually thought she was speech delayed and then overnight it seemed she began talking and counting and pointing out letters and colors. Most of the things she says though is only understood by me lol! She still kind of mumbles on and on in foreign 'baby" language. She can't drink out of a regular cup yet either, nor has she gone on her potty yet. So there are certain areas that she's behind in and some that she's learned recently. She also doesn't know what to say when asked "How old are you?" she either still says "one" or just ignores the question.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2010