My son's dog barks when we put him in the kennel at night.

He has to sleep in the kennel or he will poop all over the house. Drives me nuts. Help, please!

christy_lvr

Asked by christy_lvr at 11:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pets

• how old is the dog?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Put the kennel where he can see you.

Answer by older at 11:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The dog is 2. When we first adopted him, the kennel was in my son's room and that didn't help. I'm at a loss. Need some sleep, but don't want to wake up and have to dodge the mines. LOL
    christy_lvr

Comment by christy_lvr (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• put something in there that makes him comfortable
    2milesboys

Answer by 2milesboys at 11:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• what time do you feed the dog his last meal of the day? i got a dog from the pound and she would poop in the house (and pee) if i fed her after 6pm...now she eats her last meal of the day when we eat dinner, around 5-5:30pm and no more water after 6 she dosen't use the bathroom in the house anymore...i also take her out about an hour after she eats, then again before i go to bed then first thing in the morning i let her out GL......about the kennel idk b/c i don't leave my dog in one, she's free to roam the house (since i changed her feeding schedule she don't poop or pee inside anymore)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• When we first adopted our dog Beau he was 2 years old and would bark at night when he saw us from his kennel. He was fine otherwise though. What I did was put a towel over the front of the crate. He could still hear us but could not see us and the barking stopped. You might also try playing a radio in the room where he sleeps.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Agree with Josie ... our dog sleeps in her kennel at night but doesn't give us any issues, but that is the only time she is in there for a long period of time. We take her out right before putting her to bed and first thing in the morning. She has only had accidents when we first brought her home and that was our fault because we hadn't worked out our system yet. We even use it as a punishment, but we use two different words and don't close the door. "UP" means she is in trouble. "BED/BEDTIME" means time for bed.

If you are keeping him in the kennel for long periods of time during the day, he is probably anxious about being in it. Try the times like suggested and taking him out right before bed.

Good luck. Remember to be PATIENT!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I had brothers and got them as puppies and when it was quite time I put a blanket over the kennel and they knew it was bedtime. We have another dog and she whines when we go to bed if she is in the kennel. We had to put her in our room until she learned not to potty in teh house and it does happen sometimes but she roams now.

Good luck with your dog and I hope you get some sleep soon!
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Do you have a wire cage? You can tie a hollow bone with heavy duty twine to the bottom, back bars with a little peanut butter smeared in there. That will settle him down perhaps, he has to lay down to lick the bone, dogs get tired standing with their butt in the air.

Wouldn't recommend the blanket, sorry but many dogs will often pull the blanket into the cage and tear it to bits.

Work on teaching him the cue "Quiet" ; )
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• We give our dog a bone in kennel and he has this bone only when he is in there...it works for him!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 3:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2010