can you drink while taking prozac?

my husband is on prozac and we have a going away party for a friend at a bar... Can he drink?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Health

• It should tell you on the prescription bottle. I think it would be OK to call the DR. and ask.

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I found this for you, hope it is helpful... http://depression.emedtv.com/prozac/alcohol-and-prozac.html
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I dont think you are suppose to but I did. Obviously I didn't keel over or I wouldnt be writing this.
    Anonymous

• any prescription meds u shouldn;t. Most always say stop talking them 3 days before u have any alcohol. Maybe not have him take any meds the same day he's gonna drink
    Anonymous

• NEVER EVER abruptly stop any prescribed medication. Always consult your Dr. if you want to stop a med for some reason. There are MANY medications that can have serious/life threatening side effects if withdrawn all at once. As for the alcohol..No you should not drink an take any medication for depression.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I'll be honest with you, it never hurt me! take it slow though, if he starts feeling wierd, stop! Everyone reacts differently to different things.
    YungMum_STL

Answer by YungMum_STL at 3:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Alcohol is a depressant, so it's really not a good idea. I used to be on Prozac, and I couldn't drink AT ALL. If I did, I got completely depressed. Be careful with it.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It's fine. He just may have a lower alcohol tolarance. It's not going to hurt anything to drink once.
    Anonymous

• I drink with my anti depressants, and do ok. As the other person stated DO NOT STOP TAKING THEM before the party, that can be dangerious. I have missed a couple doses of mine and I am NOT a very nice person.
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2008