What appearance says professional to you?

I have a clear idea of professional, but lately I've heard things like if women don't wear make up they don't consider professional looking.

For me it's the clothes, and the way she carries herself.

Thoughts?

bseastrand

Asked by bseastrand at 12:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think hair and makeup are absolutely important. Not heavy make up, but a touch for sure, unless you have a perfect face, I'm guessing most of us do not. A gorgeous expensive suite and fabulous shoes on a woman that has not done her hair or makeup does not look professional to me. If the woman's appearance is the same in a sweat suit as in a professional suit, not good.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Make up can enhance or distract, if used moderately it is always a plus. The classy look without too much simple elegant and not too revealing.

Answer by older at 12:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Well groomed, ironed clothes, positive and outgoing attitude. Not necessarily make-up because some women have a natural beauty that needs no make-up :)
    Platinum_Mommy

Answer by Platinum_Mommy at 12:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• not too much make-up but a little to enhance the eyes and give you color is fine, an outfit that isnt too loose nor too tight, not too bright, not too dull, not too busy, good posture and a confident smile, not too much jewelry
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Well, according to UBS, the Swiss Bank, their dress code is uber specific. 43 pages of specific.
    For Women:
    “Light makeup consisting of a foundation, mascara and discreet lipstick will enhance your personality.”

“Women should not wear shoes that are too tight-fitting as there is nothing worse than a strained smile.”

“A flawless appearance can bring inner peace and a sense of security.”

“The ideal time to apply perfume is directly after you take a hot shower, when your pores are still open.”

For men:

“Three days of stubble is not permitted and a visit to the barber is recommended once every four weeks.”

“Wear only ties that match the bone structure of the face and do not wear socks with cartoon motifs.”

“If you wear a watch, it suggests reliability and that punctuality is a great concern to you.”

con't
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• ♦ “Underwear is among the most intimate parts of our clothing . . . your underwear must not be visible through your clothes, or stand out . . . your figure should not suffer from the way you wear your underwear.”
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think all. Personally, I would never feel put together if I didn't have makeup on... God knows you wouldn't want to see me without it on either. LOL! But, seriously, I think that a woman definitely looks more professional with makeup on. Of course clothing makes the package, but enhancement goes a long way.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It's the whole package. You need to be dressed professionally, but you also need your hair to be style professionally and by all means wear make-up. Nothing looks more unprofessional than blemishes or dark circles under your eyes. Remember people focus on your face when they speak to you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010