When making rice - do you think that adding broth instead of water really makes a difference.

I have tried chicken broth and orange juice in place of some of the water when making rice and I really don't taste a huge difference. Maybe my ratios are off - any advice?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 12:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• ABSOLUTELY! I even season the broth with seasonings that compliment the meal. Infusing your rice with flavor is definitely the way to fo!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• oh yes - i think broth makes a huge difference in taste. when i make chicken & yellow rice, i cook the yellow rice in chicken broth. when making instant potatoes, ill use either beef, vegetable or chicken broth instead of water. i just replace however much water is called for with broth, but i use less sodium because i used regular one time and it was SO salty!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It changes the flavor, the saltiness and the fat content. Are you using premade broth or a mix you add to water (like bouillon cubes)?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Absolutely! I often tailor the broth to fit the meal (chicken for a poultry-based meal, beef for anything with red meat). Usually I use my own stock, so the fat and salt content are a bit more under my control.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• When I make white rice, I add water and also lemon juice, it makes it whiter and tastier.

Answer by older at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yes. If it goes with a chicken dish - chicken broth. Beef dish - beef broth, etc.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think it makes a difference. I usually don't use any water if I am using broth.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I've never used broth to make my rice. Never even thought about it. I have, however, substituted coconut milk for water when I'm making rice for thai food. It makes the rice creamy with a slight sweetness that goes nicely with the thai food.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 12:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yes! I always use broth!!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Ohh yes, broth is way better, it gives it more flavor
    I dont get to use it all the time, but when I do, its much better
    Tasting, its really personal prefrance
    Hondachick44007

Answer by Hondachick44007 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010