do you use time out for a 13 month old

my daughter does 2 things that are harmful to her and others. she pulls the cats tail and bites me. i have read a book about time out for 1 minute for a one year old for major offenses. it says if i tell her no no and she looks at me and grins then she can do time out? i am at a loss as how to stop these, i remove her from the cat over and over and tell her no no to biting. biting her back is just not an option for me. and i can't figure out where to take her for time out??

Asked by bayleighsmom at 8:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I actually started time outs with my daughter when she was around 13 or 14 months. She is almost 4 now and when she's doing something naughty all I have to do is tell her she's gonna get a time out and she'll stop. Time outs were and still are the ONLY thing that "works" for us with her. Of course at that age it's hard to keep them in the time out chair/corner or whatever you might it's gonna take LOTS of time on your part to enforce it but like you biting back and spanking was just not an option for me. Our time out corner is in the kitchen corner between basemend and garage doors. It's AWAY from the TV but I can still watch her. GOOD LUCK, I know it's hard!

Answer by livytwo at 9:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We started time outs at about 12 months. I sit him on the floor for time out against the wall and put my legs up on either side of him (but not touching him) so he is a little barracaded in. The is enough to make him not try to move away. He usually sits and cries during this time. After time out we get a hug. I'm not convinced he totally understands it yet, but he has only had to have a couple so far. It is a learning process like everything else. We don't usually do a whole minute, it is usually 40 seconds.

Answer by supershlea at 9:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If she's biting you while you hold her then I'd put her down with a firm NO and take a few steps a way from her to give her the message. No idea on the cat though, sorry..

Answer by faeriemamma at 10:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I started time outs after 1 yr. I was always told its 1minute per year or age. My son is now 3 and gets 3 minute time outs. They still work great.

Answer by duganhorse at 12:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2009