How do you stop your child from using a cup (milk) for food?

My toddler 2 1/2 yrs isn't a great eater. She loves fruit of any kind loves bread and hotdogs (chicken), Rice and mac & cheese but will not eat a good meal she wants to replace food with her sippy any advice? the pedi says she is healthy and fine just not to let her replace real food with milk.
Thank you ladies in advance

1boy1girl4me

Asked by 1boy1girl4me at 1:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• My daughter started doing that to me-- she's 2 1/2 also and the doctor recommended cutting sippie cups out at mealtime. Not cutting the drink out, but cutting out the cup. She should big enough now that if she's sitting at the table she can have a "big girl cup" My daughter thought this was new and fun and exciting. It worked for her, I hope it helps you.
    cjennifer81

Answer by cjennifer81 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• You can always hold the drink till after the meal.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I don't give my son a drink at all until he is done eating b/c he would drink all of his milk or juice & not eat...
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I let my son (3 and a GREAT eater) have one cup full of milk at dinner, and my daughter (2) gets only a bit mostly because of her spilling stuff!

At breakfast they get oranje juice, and I might refill it once. After that it's water. if I feel generous (and we have some around) they might get apple juice at lunch but other than that, it's water throughout the day. I keep their cups on the table all day so they can come get a sip.

Dinner I go with milk.

After my son drinks his milk, he cannot have more (trying to teach him to drink it slowly or sparingly) until he cleans his plate (doesn't have to eat it all if he doesn't like it but he eats it all).
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Thanks for ALL the answers, also I guess I should have made it clear she doesn't drink anything with her food like at the table. She doesn't want to eat she would rather drink milk lol!! that's where my stress is getting high. I don't give her a cup or glass unless she needs something while eating (which is rare) then i give her out of my glass. She is great with a real glass that's what she would prefer but it was scary her walking with a glass/cup so we did the sippy.
    Sarah
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 1:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2008