In your experience - which makes for a moister turkey roasting bag or hand basting?

If you bast what do you use - pan drippings?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 12:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I hand baste mine and use a roasting pan. But, I also start out with mine breast down. This keeps the breast in the juices so it doesn't dry out so much. Then, when it's almost done, I turn it breast up and remove the lid and continue to baste and brush with butter to turn it nice & golden brown. YUM!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I found a great recipe for a roasted  turkey, you put butter under the skin... I did it this way for Thanksgiving and it was the MOST juicy and flavorful turkey I have had in my entire 41 years. And normally the turkey is my least favorite thing on the table for Thanksgiving, not this year.  It was really really good.  Here's the recipe... don't just believe me, its got over 1000 five star reviews.  FWIW, I did not use minced onion, I just rough chopped an onion, carrot and celery and threw into the roasting pan to flavor the drippings and juices.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homestyle-Turkey-the-Michigander-Way-2/Detail.aspx

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Neither. Leaving it under the foil for almost the whole cooking time and only removing it for the last 30-45 minutes works. No peeking at all!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Roasting Bag
    Yes you bast it will with the pan drippings
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i like to fry the turkey:) it makes it moist also
    2010mommy0914

Answer by 2010mommy0914 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I baste, but when I prepare the turkey, I make a paste with butter, fresh basil, and minced garlic, and lift the skin over the breast (gently) and rub it with the butter. Then rub more all over the outside of the turkey. I also cover the turkey with foil, however, if you don't baste, the the moisture drains to the bottom of the pan, and out of the turkey (drippings of course) so you really should baste the turkey periodically as well.

I learned the butter trick from Martha Stewart about 25 years ago, and have never had a dry turkey.....even when I buy the cheap ones!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Roasting bag. Comes out perfect.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• basting
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Brining.

Soak the bird for at least 24 hours fully submerged in salted water. Then, lard the bird --lift the skin on the breast away and smear a mixture of butter and flavourings (brandy's a fave, but whatever herbs you like with your turkey is great, too) all over the breast meat. Let the skin rest back on it. Then baste the whole bird with olive oil or melted butter (again, with flavourings, if you'd like) and put it into a hot oven. After the first few hours (I only do huge turkeys, mostly for the leftovers), baste every half hour or so with the pan drippings. Toward the end of the cooking time, check to make sure the skin is not overbrowning on the wing tips, the top of the breast and thighs, and if it is getting wonderfully brown before it's cooked, cover loosely with oiled foil.

Now, the really, really important part: when it's removed from the oven, tent foil over it and let it stand AT LEAST an hour.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I've never done either. I make a sauce out of olive oil, rosemary and other herbs - make a lot. I rub it UNDER the skin. And over. Then I cook the turkey according to the directions. I never baste.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2010