rear facing and face forward

how old were your babies face forward and how much did they weigh..

thanks

tiggerneeyore

Asked by tiggerneeyore at 1:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A year old or 20 lbs. I followed that to the T.

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I switched my little girl when she was just over 12 months. She weighed 22 pounds.

You MUST leave your child rear facing until she is BOTH 12 months old AND 20 pounds. If the baby is 18 months old and only weighs 19 pounds, she still needs to face backwards. If the baby is 9 months old and weighs 26 pounds, she still needs to face backwards. The law states 1 year AND 20 pounds.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• okay thanks!!!
    tiggerneeyore

Answer by tiggerneeyore at 1:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• They HAVE to be 20 lbs and 1 Year old. Hold out even longer if you can, it's because of their necks. If you get rear ended their little necks can snap easier.
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 1:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Wait it out as long as you can. Definately hold the law, 1 year AND 20 lbs, but wait longer if you can. If you carseat holds rearfacing until 35 pounds, keep the monkey rearfacing till 35 pounds or until (s)he is too long!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I was uninformed when my DD was younger. I turned her at 1 yr and 19 lbs. My 15 mos old son who is around 19 or so lbs is still RF and will remain that way for as long as possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My daughter didn't weigh 20 pounds until she was over 18 months. She stayed rear facing until she grew too big for the carrier at which time she weighed 19.8 pounds. I figured that a couple of ounces wasn't a big deal as old as she was.

But I am by no means saying to ignore the regulations. They are in place for a reason.

And the reason a 9 month old who weighs over 20 pounds still has to be rear facing is because they are not developed enough to withstand an impact if they were facing forward.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Sorry, I should have pointed out that she had also become too long to comfortably sit rear facing.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Even if her legs bunch, it's better to leave her rear facing. It's easier for a child to recover from a leg injury than a spinal injury.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 9:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• by law in California its 1 year old...there is no weight requirement just 1 year
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2008