What should I do...

I'm a daycare provider & have 10 kids in my care...I went out like I do every year & bought EACH child a $10.00 gift...Only 1 parent gave me a gift in return...my hubby & bff says this is rude...Do you give your daycare provider/teacher a gift? I told the parents in Nov. that I'd be doing this for this child...I am evening hosting a children's Christmas party this afternoon so I can watch them open MY gift...Christmas is for kid's, right? But still I feel let down..is that right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think that is weird. I give my daycare provider a gift every year! If anyone deserves it, she does. I can't believe no one gave you one. I give mine money in a card with a nice note about how I could never live without her. She is really great. There is nothing you can do about it though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• There is joy in giving specially to a child, I never give anything expecting anything in return, times are tough and money is tight.

Answer by older at 12:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Hmm... well I do give my kids' teachers a small gift each year, but that's by choice. Not obligation. I also give something small to their extra-curricular coaches, leaders, etc. However, I don't think it's right for someone to expect a gift. If you get one, you do. If not? It shouldn't be offensive. People give because they want to - not because they have to. Maybe the families you sit for are tight on money this year. Maybe they're tight on time and they just haven't gotten to it yet - I mean after all, there's still a week to Christmas!

I've been a youth leader in a variety of different capacities. I don't expect any of my kids to give me gifts. If they do? Well I'm honored. If they don't? That's ok too. I don't do those jobs for the gifts.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I always get my kids teachers or child care providers a gift. The only thing I can think is that maybe money is tight this year for people so they decided that they coldn't afford to get you one. I am sorry that you dind't get anything and I understand how frustrating this must be,'

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I give my DD's teacher a gift. I also give to her dance teacher. Last year in Preschool her teacher had a teacher's assistant helping her out and I gave her something as well. My girls have never been to daycare or with a babysitter but if I did have for them then yea I would give to them as well. The person that watches your child when you can't is an important person in your child's life.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I always gave my child care provider a gift. I admit that for the short amount of time they were at an actual day care center I didn't just because they interact with so many different people and i really didn't wanna leave anyone out. Then I had an in home provider. I always tried to give her as good a gift as possible. Actually, I spent more on her than everyone else on my list, aside from my kids. I usually give everyone little $20 gifts (he have a big family, money is tight). But I always gave her a $40-$50 gift card. She cared for my child and did a great job. I appreciated her. Plus she really charged a lot less than a day care.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My kids have never been in daycare, but every year i buy a gift for each of their teachers, the speech therapist, resource teachers, and I got a little gift for each of their martial arts instructors.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My dd doesn't go to daycare BUT if she did I would DEF get the daycare worker a gift.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• You should only give gifts because you want to not because you expect something in return....

Was that the reason you let the parents know? So that they in turn give you something?

And its not Christmas yet you may still get some thank you gifts.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010