How to improve DH/Son Relationship

My son will be 21 soon. He still lives with us since jobs are so scarce in this economy and particularly in our area. I get along with him just great most of the time especially as he has moved beyond the teen years. But he and his dad argue constantly and seem to have no respect for one another.

Got any good suggestions on how to bring them together? I always feel like I am caught in the middle.

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 12:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• He needs to find a job-any job- and get his own place. Your husband is probably frustrated with supporting his adult son

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Lock them both in a small room and tell them they aren't allowed out till the talk and hash out their differences :)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Encourage your son to go to college or trade school so that he can actually FIND a job that will support him. he can't live with you forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• you cant always live on your own with just any job, however he should get any job and pay some rent
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• As upsetting as it may be the dynamic between your husband and your son is not your responsibility. I wouldn't take sides or try to play mediator. If it upsets them let them both know and if it's too awful to listen to leave the house, buy a good book and go out for coffee AND let them know their collective behaviour is the reason why you are leaving.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 5:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• yes I like waxing lyrical's idea..
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• its up to them . they are both grown men .what do they fight about. as much as you want to help stay out of it. its between them. dad may feel junior will never leave and dad is telling what to do. they will work it out.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 3:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Maybe weekly family meetings & explain what you expect in your household
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:25 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Sit the two of them down, and explain that unless they want to live together, with you gone, they need to learn to be civil with each other.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:06 PM on Dec. 25, 2010