Ears pierced?

My DD is 19 months old and doesnt have her ears pierced yet... But she is a girly girl, and had noticed that mommy wears "prettys" in her ears and she doesnt. I am planning on going with her and having my second holes pierced again, so she can see mommy do it too.
The question is... Can I pierce her ears for Christmas at this age? Or is she going to pull them out, play with them and get them infected, etc.. Anyone pierce around 18 months to 2 y/o? Any problems?

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 12:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that is the worst age ever to do it....not young enough to forget the pain and leave the earrings alone, but not old enough to realize its going to hurt and how to leave them alone. Worst age of all the ages in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I pierced my DDs ears at 18mo and she had trouble sleeping on her sides for two nights, but thats just about it. she didnt pull on them or anything. You need to tell her that they are there to look pretty not to touch yet, maybe get her a mirror so she can look at them and resist touching a bit
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• "prettys" lol that's adorable!

i got one of my daughter's ears re-pierced around that age and she never bothered it. only reason i had to re-pierce it was because i went to put different earrings in one day, took the old ones out and got busy doing something and when i remembered a few days later, they were closed already!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yes you can pierce them. I just pierced my 3yr old ears last month
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Thanks for the answers! I really want to get them done soon... Just concerned because of her age... Anything I can do to help with the experience and to keep her from playing with them?
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• She already loves looking at herself in the mirror and has her own compact...
    The reason I was thinking about doing it NOW is because, she is REALLY good with shots. They give them to her, and within 2 minutes she is over it. I was hoping the same would be said for the piercings...
    for those who have pierced this young... how did you get them to sit still?
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• AND I wanted to do it now because she really doesnt have a lot of hair yet to get tangled in them.
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• they will have you sit her in your lap and kind of "hug" her but with your arms over her arms. you dont really have to squeeze unless she's squirming. but if she's never done this before chances are she won't be frightened by it cause she doesn't know what's about to happen. they might have 2 piercers do each ear at the same time. they kind of "hold" her head in place when they pierce, gently though not rough lol. everytime i've gotten my 3 girls ears pierced the ladies have been really friendly and gentle :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I got both of my daughters' ears pierced when they were weeks old. They've never played with them, and we've never had a problem with them.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• We did DD's around 4.5. We brought her favorite animal, blanket and a lollipop. She sat on DH's lap and say "ouch." That was that. They did both sides at once and it was awesome. She was pretty good about shots at that age too.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010