Mom cited for letting her 5 yr old walk to school alone, more "nanny state" or right decision?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13675416

SOUTH JORDAN -- With an orange vest and careful instructions from his mother, 5 ½-year-old Noah Talbot makes his way home from school each day by himself.

The kindergartner at Monte Vista Elementary School in South Jordan usually walks with his older brother every morning, but he comes home alone since his class only meets for half a day. Last Friday, Noah was on his way to school when he was stopped by a South Jordan police officer. The officer picked him and drove him home.

The officer then issued his mother, Rosella Talbot, a citation for misdemeanor child neglect, saying it was irresponsible for her to allow her young son to walk from school unaccompanied.

"I am not a neglectful parent, thank you very much," she told the Deseret News. "I have just done everything I could possibly do."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13675416

She also let him walk to pre-school..

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I walked to preschool when I was 4 and always walked to school by myself after that, but I was in a different country
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would not let my kid do it though!!! Unless its litterally across the street from the house
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• In this day and age it is not wise to let a 5 year old walk anywhere without adult supervision, I say the citation was warranted.

Answer by older at 12:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• a little irresponsible but i thought it said he was with his older brothers going to school. he is too little. someone could kidnap him. i don;t think its a nanny state but its not very good parenting.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If she's home at that time,why can't she pick him up and walk with him? I think 5 is still too little to walk alone. In a group,fine,but not alone.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Soooo shes an idiot!!! She should have been arrested!
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Statistically speaking, kids are in no more danger today than they were years ago - there is just more awareness and paranoia as a result. I don't see a problem with it. I walked to school from the time I was 5.
    Anonymous

• I think it would depend on a lot of things such as the area, the traffic, and the 5 year old himself. Personally, I don't allow my son to walk to school. I mean what if it had not of been a police officer that had come across him but rather a pedophile? I can see where the police officer was coming from by issuing her a citation.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• She's home and could drive she says, but would rather he "walk and walk safely." Is she insane? This child is 5. He is walking more than a mile on busy roads, alone. Some of us parents won't so much as allow our child to walk down the driveway alone for fear of kidnappers and other dangers and this woman is practically begging for something horrible to happen to this child. I hope the officer continues to cite her and take more action.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010