Cloth diapers?

We used/are using disposable diapers on my 14 mo. DD, and I'm due in April with my second girl. Money is scarce, so I'm planning on using cloth diapers with my new little lady when she comes. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand, how many to start off with, or any helpful hints about using them?

Gemska

Asked by Gemska at 1:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Warning: cloth diapers are addictive!

I would suggest joining a cloth diapering group here on CafeMom - there is a LOT of information out there, and there are a LOT of options too. Much too much to talk about here in Answers!

I would also suggest getting a few dipes of each of like at least 2-3 different kinds, b/c you may find that you like one kind better than you thought you did after you start using it. That happened to me - I did all kinds of research and picked out the kind I liked, but my aunt bought me a different kind, and I ended up liking that kind better, and buying more of them.

Good luck! Cloth is indeed cheaper, as well as better for the earth and also baby's sweet little bottom!

:o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• PS there is also an organization out there that provides used cloth dipes to certain families for FREE - see if you can find the name of it, I can't remember it now!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i use gdiapers (my husbands preferred cloth choice) and I also use bumgenius. I like them both a lot. The down side is keeping up with laundry for everyone and the diapers add to it. you do a lot a laundry.... idk if i am saving money or not bc my water bill is going up. I do extra rinses though bc i was having a urine smell in the diapers lately. idk.... i love them - and i'd love them more if they washed faster.
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I used cloth diapers, but it was so long ago I'd say go with the younger girls on here for now. I'll bump you though.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• To both save money and be able to diaper both girls with the same diapers, I'd suggest an Ai2 system. Grovia and Flip are two major brands... You get all the features of modern cloth diapers for much less than a whole set of AIO's or Pockets.

Good luck! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Thank you, ladies! I'm so excited now...I looked at the groups and found one that has patterns to make your own. I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT! I love to sew, so I'm going to make my own! Happy happy....this will be fun!
    Gemska

Comment by Gemska (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2010