How to help my son that will be entering High School next year?

My son will be in High School next year and wants to be able to go to college....What can I do to help him in that goal...He makes all A's and usually a B in math...He is not in Gifted or advance classes now....Just want some ideas on some things I could start with him next year to help him go to college....

Momofthree1229

Asked by Momofthree1229 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Make sure he ia doing things he loves and learning what his hobbies and interests are. Give him the freedom to learn about him self and make sure he knows that college is a place where he will be able to explore his interests more thoroughly.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 2:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My son is starting high school next year also. If he is an A/B student you don't have anything to worry about. He will be fine. My daughter just graduated from High school last June and she had a good SAT score an is going to tech school first for about 6 months to get started in the Medical Assistanting field. Tha will help her get a good paying job so that she can support herself while she is in college and Medical school. She wants to be a doctor.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I disagree with not worrying about it because he is currently making good grades. Lots of times smart kids get pulled into bad crowds and grades dropping to the floor follow. Make sure he is aware of the kinds of temptations he will have to avoid in H.S. Talk to his counselor early on so that he is taking his College prep classes and hopefully even some AP or Honors classes by the time he's a junior. It will be hard work, but if he really wants it he can make it happen. Colleges are also looking for well rounded kids. Have him start thinking about what extracurricular activities he's interested in. Maybe he likes to debate, photography, recycling, volunteering at a shelter..whatever it is. Academics clubs are ok...but thee don't speak well on a college admissions form. Good Luck!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• If he wants to get into a "Good" college and not just a community college he needs to do volunteer work and have taken at least 1 foreign language. Talk to the school counselor who will also be able to tell you what college's are looking for in potential new students, or CALL the college admissions for the schools he thinks he may want to apply for and ask them what the selection process is and they will be happy to help you out.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748/

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• He can now start taking college courses. Check on line or at your local community college. If he has good grades, he will be able to keep up.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 4:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Since this past summer, I've been helping our son with college applications and happy to say that we've got all his applications, recommendations, etc. in on time for the early action process!

I will tell you this, GPA (class rank), SAT/ACT scores are very important, however, so are a student's extracurricular activities in and out of school. On all of the college applications I've helped him with, they want more than just scores! Our son is involved in a lot of school programs, such as the National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Band and Scouts. All of this matters on paper. To answer your question; I say have your son involve himself in whatever he enjoys doing. Start jotting down his achievements, both personal and academic so when the time comes to write a resume for him/her you have it on hand.

Good luck,

Paige
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My highschool had this huge book full of scholarships...I would have him check that out! They have all kinds of scholarships for things like just being African America, be disabled, being part native american, all kinds of stuff. I don't think he can start filling that stuff out until his Junior year though. But there is no harm in looking now! Tell him good luck and to have a lot of fun, because although he may not like high school for the most part, he will miss it when its gone. And also, make good friend choices...
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter just started HS this year and shes totally changed. Not in a bad way, just different. Shes honors/gifted and they get college credit so keep that in mind. Also there is a college prep courses that he can take if he doesn't qualify for honors. Thats good too. Let him know that theres a lot of changing going on and most importantly keep in constant communication. Reinforce that you want him to have a social life and friends, but school comes first. They will quickly make lots of new friends, some who are older and keeping up with the social life and school becomes a juggle. My daughter isn't even trying and shes pulling in all A's except in Math. She has an 88. I think its either not hard enough or shes a genius. I think its the first one...LOL....
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2008