What is the fastest way to potty train a dog on puppy pads

katkashka

Asked by katkashka at 1:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pets

• I would use the kennel method

Answer by older at 1:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• get rid of the puppy pads and use a crate instead. My youngest dog was house broken in three weeks using a crate.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• what do you mean by a crate like what kind of crate?
    katkashka

Comment by katkashka (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It is like a small kennel. Dogs do not poop where they live, and this is one way to train them to wait until you take them outside.

Answer by older at 1:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Use a crate. Using puppy pads is just training the dog to go in the house. Put the dog in the crate whenever you can't watch him and take him out to potty as soon as you let him out of the crate. Also, take him out to potty frequently. When he potty's outside, praise him.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i agree with the crate method. we took in a puppy because his previous owners were angry that they couldn't house train him. we had him trained in a week, minus accidents from getting scared(he had been abused)
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753745   This is an example of a crate. There are also plastic ones.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I have trained dogs for several years... I use the crate training method.
    peanut081981

Answer by peanut081981 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• the thing is my puppy is a very small dog and right now its way to cold for her
    katkashka

Comment by katkashka (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• well, I guess you have to decide if you truly want a house broken dog. Get her a coat and put that on her when she goes outside. I found my youngest dog last winter. He was only about 6 weeks old and weighed barely 6 pounds. He had to wear braces on his front feet and we put a coat on him. He had to deal with snow on the ground but he was housebroken in 3 weeks because I crate trained him.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010