Do you get mad if the school calls?

I got a call from the school inquiring as to my oldest dd absence. I told them she should be there I watched her get on the bus myself. The secretary asked me to hold while the paged the class and than got on the phone apologizing saying that she got held up at breakfast. She was going very overboard with the apologies apparently some of the parents get very mad at them for calling. Why would you get mad over something like this? I would rather get a call and find out it was a mistake than wait till after school and find out my dd was not at school and have lost the 8hrs I could have spent finding her.

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm with you, it's much better to call. If they didn't call and no one knew your kid was missing til 8 hours later, you KNOW you would be mad!

Maybe some parents work night shifts and get woken up by calls from the school...?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't be upset at all. That would just show me that my child's school is concerned for her/his safety.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I got mad at his last school for the calls over him supposedly having a fever. He was fine all but one time they called. The other times he was just hot from running around. I demanded they sit him down for 30 min after his "fever" was detected and then retake it. When they go home after a call in,they can't return the next day.
    Over your issue,no I wouldn't be mad.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No, I wouldn't be mad.
    I'd rather have the school seem a little too concerned anyway, than to believe that they don't notice or care at all.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Nope wouldn't be mad at all. I would rather they call and let me know and then when I knew they were there do exactly as they did and find my child.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No, that would upset me. I might have a mini heart attack though until she got back on the phone and told me it was a mistake and she was there. Then I might be a little irritated that they can't keep track of the students better. But mad? no
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• oops, meant to say that would NOT upset me :)
    tnm786

• I would be mad if the school didn't call.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 1:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would much rather the school call than for them not too.

Some parents are idiots though and do get pissy because they think they have other things to do than worry about their kids.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would like to believe that the person has accurate information. I mean if they are calling me telling me my kids wasn't in school when they were would they also be not calling me when the kids wasn't in school? Competence is very important. The last time I got a call we had just walked back into the house from an all morning excursion to the doctor and the lab. I was glad they realized that he wasn't there and glad I knew exactly where he was.  Yes, that panicked feeling of where the heck is my kid for nothing would upset me.  As long as they apologized for it once I would get over it though.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2010