Christmas presents exchange at big families?

Last Christmas it was my FIL and MIL, and 2 SIL, and one niece. Well, since then both SIL's had 3 babies, yes one had twins. And the one that had the twins got married and added 2 step sons to the mix, so we are looking at 8 kids under 10. I honestly can't spend a lot of money. So, my question for those of you that do big gatherings. How do you do it? I always thought that gifts for just the kids were fine, but we're adding so many kids this year, what if we did like a Secret Santa kind of thing? 2 of the kids are mined. One SIL her baby will be a little under 2 months, actually she's being induced tomorrow! And the other SIL, yes if you can do the math has 5. If I do gifts for all i don't want to be 'cheap' but I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. So any advice would be great!

momofana82

Asked by momofana82 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Shopping

• we to have a hug family so us adults draw and if married each spouse draws a name and if you have a child then you draw a childs name for your child to buy a gift for. everyone in our family is now all married and has atleast one child so it works out well.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• We have a huge family so we always do a Polyanna. The adults pick a child from a hat so they kids didnt know who was buying for them. Its a lot of fun and inexpensive!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Now that our family has grown to over 40 grandkids, the parents just buy a gift for their kids. The little ones dont know that though. You can just have someone dress up as Santa and hand out the gifts. Either option works really well!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• In our family we draw names. The adults draw couples names..and buy a single gift for them. Obviously those not married get draw as well. We all draw for kids buyin for 2 or 3 beats the heck out of buying for 10 or 11. Mom runs the draw so nobody can gripe. We all buy for Mom.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My husbands family does the name drawing and the kids get a gift at the holiday gathering. Theyare happy to get what they get. We do it also it needs to be a toy not clothes since they get one item they have fun playing with the cousins and all with their new toy.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 2:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I don't think that Secret Santa type things are too uncommon anymore considering how many blended families and extended families there are anymore. Christmas should be more about the joy of the holiday, not the stress of gift giving. Suggest a secret santa and see where it takes you. If everyone is opposes, you can go online and find craft ideas and handmade gifts for children that will be cheaper than buying.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• We have 6 neices and nephews. With our children added it's a total of 9. On my husbands side we don't buy for the adults. We buy what we want for our own kids and exchange those at home. Then we buy 1 outfit and one small toy for each niece and nephew to exchange at the family gathering.

On my side we do the same for the kids. And we draw names for the adults. We have the option of entering the drawing individually or as a couple. Most of us go in as a couple so that we only buy one gift. And we set a price limit. Under $30 is prefered, but absolutely no more than $50.
    Anonymous

• In ours when we lived closer and still did it. We would put all the adults names in the drawing and the adults would get to pick a name or you could put it as couples pick couples. Then we put in the kiddos names up to a certain age then each child buys a gift for another child in the family. It usually worked out pretty well. Then you buy for your own family. We havent done it in a couple yrs since we live 1200 miles away. We did it the first couple of yrs we moved but we just did it as family gifts and that was it. It is alot cheaper then having to do all of them. GL
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 2:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• When I was growing up we had something called Secret Sister (there was only girls in my family) we would draw each others names and just buy for that person. Since then we have added 2 BIL and 10 kids to the mix so now we call it Secret Santa and draw a name and buy for those that we draw. We do the drawing on Thanksgiving and we arent suppost to tell who we got but that never happens...specially when I draws one of my BIL's I never know what to get for them.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 3:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• This year, my husband and his siblings got together and decided that we would just buy for our own children and his parents...that way it takes alot of stress off of all of us. I would suggest that. Most likely--everyone will love the idea and be relieved.
    Anonymous