Does it "feel" like we are at war to you?

I feel like there is so much in this country.

Yes, gas is going up and things are shaky, and the economy is well...not good.

But there was always a little less to go around during war times before. (We visited my great grandfather in law yesterday, and he was telling stories. Amazing stories.)

Do you think there is less pressure on the leadership to end the wars (coupled with a greater pressure to do less damage) we are in because it doesn't affect the general population the way it once did?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband and I were just talking about this last night. He's studying for his promotion board coming up and was reading on WWII and was amazed at how united the country way behind the armed forces. He said "Ya know if they had to go without meat today because the soldiers on the front lines needed it there would be rioting."
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 1:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I agree with your husband blue for sure.Some of us would make the little sacrifice though.Our troops deserve all of our support..even of those who do not agree with the war.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Some people in America are so spoiled and self-centered that it angers them to make any kind of sacrifice to help anyone out.
    Our troops sacrificing everyday. And Spoiled Americans want to take for themselves and not give back.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 1:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• In a country where people think going without their cellphone for a day is sacrifice? Not hardly.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• WWII was supported because it was a valid War....what we have now in Afghanistan and had in Iraq is not. That is why so many people do not rally 'round.
    It is obvious why there was a coming together and so much unity during WWII.
    Thnk about it.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• BUT...I must add...I DO support the TROOPS, the brave military fighting over there. I just hate the WAR.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It feels like one to me. My 24yo spent 15 mos. in Iraq, my 20yo will deploy next year and the majority of my Facebook friends have soldiers who are either deployed, just back or who will deploy next year. Economically does it, no. Does it have the same feel as it did during WW 2, no. But do I feel like we are at war...yes, everyday when I pray for the safety of many soldiers, when I watch my own son who suffers from PTSD and when I pray for the sanity of my friends with deployed soldiers.
    Anonymous

• Do you think there is less pressure on the leadership to end the wars (coupled with a greater pressure to do less damage) we are in because it doesn't affect the general population the way it once did?

Yes, that's why I asked the question about re-enstating the draft,,,

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

Me too...its sad its assumed you don't if you disagree with the war..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It feels like it to me because my husband is deploying the day after Christmas. I don't think it even crosses most people's minds though. I think NP hit the nail on the head with her cell phone post.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010