Teenage boy..schedule

Hi Mom,
I'd like to know how do you manage your son schedule? How far are you involve in his daily schedule? My only son just turns 14 two weeks ago, and I normally would together with him create daily schedule to incorporate his activities, study related and also free time.
Any suggestion and your experience would be very much helpful for me..

Thanks!

HOPE8818

Asked by HOPE8818 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My 14 yr old doesn't have a set daily schedule exactly. He goes to school, comes home, has a snack, we chat, he does homework, then he and I like to read together for about 30 minutes. While I make dinner he & his brothers are free to do as they please. After dinner he may read more or watch a bit of TV and practice his school band instrument.
    He is not currently involved in any after school activities.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Not really sure what you are looking for, but when my boys were that age I was pretty much in charge of everybody's schedule. They were involved in several activities/sports and I made sure they got to where they had to be for practices, games, etc. Anything they wanted to do on the weekends had to be coordinated with family activities. I never had to get them up on school days because they handled that themselves and I checked to make sure homework was done each evening.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My son is 15 and his regular weekday schedule is breakfast, school, swim practice, dinner, homework, then a little free time before bed. We generally don't allow tv or computer time on weekdays, especially if there's homework or studying to be done. On the weekends, things are a bit looser. He finishes any homework he has, swim practice on Saturday morning, church on Sunday morning, youth group Sunday evening. This time of year we also watch football on Sundays and try to do something holiday related on Saturday.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My son is 15:
    Wake up, shower, eat breakfast, school, hockey practice, homework, free time, dinner, TV, computer, X Box, bed
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think you are babying him... by now he should have learned how to schedule his own day.

My son will be 14 in Jan.... I wake him up; he has an alarm but this is the only time I get to run my fingers through his hair or scratch his back - Ok so maybe I too baby mine.... He has his morning routine down. I drive him to school. After school I pick him up; he decides when he does homework, practices guitar, or goes out side to goof with buddies. He knows what time dinner is and what time I expect him in bed... he chooses how long and when to do it all. He has straight As... so he has proven himself.

Once a month I print out a calendar for all 3 kids (he is my middle) that shows when everyone's sports practices, games, lessons, etc are so that they can plan around each other.  The calendar also lists family outings and dinners.

I started training them young to manage their own time.

Anonymous

• NOPE I do not I let them to start managing their own schedule in H.S.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Both my boys 12 & 16 manage their own schedules. They do set an alarm, I wake them up too, it is how I like to start the day with a kiss on the cheek or running my fingers in their hair. They take their showers, get something to eat, watch ESPN, call their ride to pick them up for school (I work and leave an hour before they need to be there.) They have sports practice after school usually, my older son also has swing choir and drama in the mornings before school. My younger son is in band.
    Basically on Monday I get the low down for there week so I know at all times where they are suppose to be. Homework is done after they unwind a little (they have 3 hours at home before I get home from work). They do their chores while I cook dinner or go to the gym. They plan their weekends, and let me know; movi night w/friends at our house, if there are parties, I ask when they are fitting me in and they reschedule for mom time
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• mmmegan38 - Im curious as to why you do not allow it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• KEEP IT UP... THAT CAN HELP HIM IN THE LONG RUN.
    earlyissues

Answer by earlyissues at 5:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I can't even manage my own schedule. My kids get up in the morning. shower, catch the bus, go to school come home, my 17 y/o takes a nap then gets up at seven to do his homework, my 11 y/o plays outside for about an hour so he can get rid of his excess energy and then he does his homework. eats dinner and watches t.v. then he goes to bed at ten.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 8:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010