How do you get your LOs to try food?

I've read that it takes about 10 tries before a child will actually eat a new food. But how do you get him to actually try the food in the first place when he just clenches his mouth shut and flat out refuses to taste it? I'm really trying to get my picky eater to eat better, but it's a battle. I don't want to force him to eat something he doesn't like, but I would like him to at least try it first.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know of kids who will try a bite of foods for their parents. Our oldest would. Our youngest would not. Meal time became a battlefield. Insisting he try foods was one of the biggest mistakes we made. If I had to do it over again I would make sure there was a variety of foods available and if he ate fine, if not I would not force the issue. I would encourage him to try things but let him do it when he was ready. We got through those years, but regret the stress we caused then. Today that child eats everything. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I make sure Felipe knows he doesn't have to eat anything he doesn't like, and if he says he doesn't like something before he tries it then I ask him to take at least one bite so he will know if he likes it. Good luck!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Please let me kow the answer to this one to! My son will not try anything new!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I let him see me eat it - that usually works. If not, I let him dip it in something (ranch, ketchup, etc.) - that always works!

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't give them a choice. They try it or they don't get anything else.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Normally he just eats anything we eat cause he sees us eating it
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i tell my son that it will give him big strong muscles.....while he is eating the food the will pull up his sleeve and say feel my muscle,so i do it and i make a big deal about it so he thinks im serious......
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Thank you. I've tried that too. I've even offered bribes, LOL. You try this, you get that. I've sent him to bed without too. Just trying every little option I can think of. Stuffing is a perfect example. He LOVES bread. I've tried telling him that the stuffing is bread, but he won't have anything to do with it.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010