What's up with the dog?

Regretably, this is the first election I've even paid attention to, let alone voted in. I was wondering why there's so much hooplah over what kind of dog Obama will get. Is it a tradtition for presidents to get a dog when they enter the White House? If so, why did Clinton have a cat? Is it tradition to get a purebred dog? I think it would be great if they adopted a shelter dog, just because so many of them need homes. Are they allowed to do that? Thanks in advance!

mamapotter

Asked by mamapotter at 2:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No, it's not a tradition to get a dog, they get a dog if they want one or not if they don't. Obama promised the kids they could have a dog after the election because they were asking for one while things were all topsy-turvy, and Michelle said they had to learn to do their chores first. Now they are looking for a puppy and haven't decided what kind to get yet or if they will get a mutt at the pound.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I do hope they adopt a shelter animal. It would be very fitting.
    And no, its not tradition to get a dog or any animal,
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• he promised his daughters a dog after the election, regardless of whether he won or not.
    he didn't want to get a pet while they were travelling.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• They can get whatever pet they want.... In pass years president's children have had ponies for pets...The ponies lived at the white house with the family....

Obama's girls are going to have a real fun life!!! The white house already is has it's own private bowling ally and it's own private movie theater and other things....

The reason it's a big deal is that in Obama's acceptance speech Tuesday Night he told his girls they were now going to get a puppy because they "earn" it or something to that effect.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• They want to adopt a shelter dog, but one of Obama's girls is allergic , so they need to find a hypoallergenic dog. It is just something that is fun and common that all our presidents talk about their pets. It's just something that the media does.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 2:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Clintons had a cat name Socks but they also had a dog name Buddy, a brown model--chocolate lab it was.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the answers ladies! The only reason I knew about Clinton's cat was because I bought a really cute watch with him on it playing the saxophone (the second hand was a mouse, lol). I really need to get out from under my rock.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• They should get a CAT! Anyone remember Socks, Clinton's cat??? He was soo cute :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2008