Sibling presents

My older kids are 9, 10, and 13. This year isn't a problem because my kids will be with me, but our custody order recently changed to where the kids will be switching off holidays and will be with my ex next year. I've always taken my kids shopping to pick out gifts for each other, and they pay for them out of their money (earned from allowance, chores, birthday, etc). Next year when they are at their dad's house - do I have them take the presents for each other over there, or keep them here for when we celebrate as a family? Do I just leave it up to them? (The 13 year old is special needs, so it would be the 9 and 10 year old deciding)

Asked by missanc at 1:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd say ask the kids what they want to do
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Me personally, I would leave it up to them. Good luck.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I might ask them how they feel about it but my instinct says do it at your house.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I share a child with my ex and our tried and true rules are that my things (&traditions) stay here and happen here and he does his own thing over there. We also alternate major holidays, so if I was in your position, I would have them exchange gifts with you. That's what we do: what is bought here stays here. What is bought there stays there unless our son asks to bring something after the fact.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• ask the kids but I see no reason to not wait until they are home with you.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If it were me, I would keep my tradition of each of us shopping for the other. However, we would just open the gifts when we celebrated as a family.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010