Applying for Medical Assistance Renewal

It's for my son, and I'd like to know why they ask if you have a vehicle, what it's worth is, and how much is owed. Why do they need this information????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Health

• its part of your net worth, I'm sure they asked how many bank accounts you have and the balance of them, and whether you own your home or other property.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Because it is property...an asset.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I guess they take into consideration if you own a hot ride why can't you afford health insurance. They will give it to him anyways because they wont deny a child.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• You are only permitted to have a certain amount of assets, which is why they want to know the value of your car. They ask for the same reason they want to know if you own stocks, bonds or a burial plot. They expect you to sell any valuable assets before asking for benefits from the government.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• So they still want the info even if it's not in MY name or even being paid for by ME? I thought it'd be enough for them to see that hubby doesn't even get health insurance offered to him through work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Well if its not in your name then you don't REALLY own it the person on the title does.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• But remember if you don't put the vehicle down and they do find out later you will owe them money and they will no longer cover your child. Its not worth it, I would put it down even if its in his Dad's name and he pays for it.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 2:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If you or your husband own it you HAVE to put it down. You have to qualify finacially. They don't just give it out to anyone who doesn't have insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Anon, neither of us owns it yet, the bank does. DF is making payments on it. I understand I have to qualify financially and that they don't just hand it out to those without insurance.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2010