Anyone gotten their underbite fixed as an adult?

I have had an underbite my whole life and I hate it! When I was 12 or so, I talked to an orthodontist and they said I would probably need braces, as well as surgery to fix it but they didnt want to do anything until I was 16 to make sure my jaw was done growing. Of course, by 16 I didnt want braces! Now I really wish I had gotten it fixed. I could probably afford braces but I dont know if my insurance would cover surgery if I needed that and I'm sure I can't afford to pay out of pocket for surgery! Does anyone know if insurance would cover surgery or if I would even need it to fix the underbite? Thank you!

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Health

• You might be able to get insurance to help cover it IF you are having digestion issues.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• R u sure it is not an overbite?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No digestion issues, though my jaw clicks which is a little painful at times, so I wonder if that would be considered a medical issue.

No, my bottom teeth are in front of my top teeth.
    TanyaR1024

Comment by TanyaR1024 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Definitely go find out if the clicking is a problem, call your insurance or have the dentist call your insurance, find out what it would take. I don't have an underbite and haven't had my overbite fixed, and don't really know anyone who has had an underbite fixed, but I know plenty of adults who have/had braces in their 30s/40s - because it's easier to afford now than when they were kids! Find out, because if you let it go you could have worse problems when you get older.
    Anonymous

• I know of a lot of people (my husband too) who have gotten braces as an adult and they didn't regret it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010