What do I do?

Please don bash for this..I already feel horrible enough..so our 2 1/2 year old dd decided to yank our air freshener out of the wall today, spills the oil everywhere on the wall...an then proceeds to go outside to the front of the house, which is the first house on the street right off of a major highway..I was downstairs with her, and just two seconds before she had been up in her room playing..I've had a horrible time with morning sickness, and I know that's not an excuse but I was up and knowing where she was...she has free range of the house, and can go in the back yard where her outside toys are..she knows not to go in the front unless we're going somewhere and one of us are with her getting her in the car...I was sitting on the couch and had been talking to her from the stairs (as in she was at the top telling me what she was doing and I was responding) and I got up to check on her and the front door was open..and she's halfway down the stairs..I caught up to herald spanked her for doing that...she knew better, she's repeated over and over that it's "a big no no to go outside without mom or dad" and yes, she knows what a no no is...I have taken away almost every privilege that's an extra that I can think of...I don't know what else to do beyond this point..I know we needed baby proofing stuff as soon as we moved but dh felt it needed to wait, due to money issues..again I know that's not an excuse, and yes, I know I need baby proofing stuff...what do I do from here? I'm beyond lost. She's never done anything like this before..I truly don't know what to do..advice? Please no bashing..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to lock the door. She is not old enough to be allowed that much trust. She is still a baby.

Lock the door, or get a top lock that she cannot get open. Just because she seems mature for a toddler doesn't mean that she is mature.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• BUY BABY PROOFING STUFF. There is really nothing else you can do. Tell your husband that his penny pinching could have cost your daughter her LIFE! Ask him which he'd rather spend on, baby gates or a baby COFFIN?

Get the home baby proofed NOW. As soon as you finish reading this.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• she is 2 and a half
    even if she 'knows' it is a no no = she will do if something comes to mind like-wow looks like fun outside
    lock doors, baby gate
    2 and a half way too young to trust she KNOWS it is a no no
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Was the front door unlocked? If it was u need to lock it. Don't spank her! She is testing boundaries in a dangerous way! I would put her in her crib for a timeout!!! She is too young to be out of your sight. Where ever u r in your house,she needs to be with u or in her crib.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• GOOD POINT odiamante!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• hang a bell over the front door so you hear when its opened, if you don't have a lock out of reach. My youngest was able to undo the deadbolt by getting a chair, real quick while I was in the bathroom, and he was only 3 when he figured it out. Its hard to get a child to understand not to go outside alone. I had to get a bell and use a hook and eye lock at the top of the door.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Well you were right for knowing what you had to do and what you should do. But sometimes we gotta just do what we can. I mean you know you love your child/children as much as you do, but in order to get what you need done you gotta sit your man down and explain to him whether he does or does not undderstand that your house needs to be baby proof or else it's gonna be regreted. And if he does not budge for the sake of your child/children (because some women feel that way about our men) then drop what you can and go get the money yourself by baking or making lunch and selling to make that money. Because our child/children look up to us to make sure they are taken care of. Just know your not doing it for nothing. Right? reply cause i want to hear everyones input. .:zAaK:.
    zAaK

Answer by zAaK at 2:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• well the air freshner thing is just kinda a given. to a two yr old it probably looked like a toy. even if she knows better, she has the mind of a 2 yr old still. simply having the doors locked would help, like everyone else said. Id also buy baby proofing stuff.. if you can afford the internet to be asking what to do, i think you can buy some baby proofing things, its not like they are that expensive!!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• p.s. i have had a long hard pregnancy, and am supposed to lay down for many hours during the day, and i lay wherever my children happen to be.. if they are all in the playroom thats where im laying, if they are in the livingroom thats where im laying, ALWAYS in my site, they are so young to be roaming around themselves! call for a babysitter or friend to come play if you need to!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010