When is headstart too early?

my daughter doesn't have really any kids her age to interact with. she has a baby sister and some older kids that she plays with. with her sister she plays mommy and the older kids she plays like she's the baby. then comes home and plays a whiny baby. this next school year my daughter is eligible to start head start. is it beneficial to start at 3 yrs. old or should i wait til she's 4 or 5 to start school?

watersgirls

Asked by watersgirls at 2:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter went at age 3, and she did great! I am so grateful for the state preschool, she got to play with kids her age, learn, and get exposed to things to build her immunity all at the same time! She did so well in kindergarten and now in first grade, and I am going to put my son it in as soon as he is eligible!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• 3 years, IF its a 3 year old classroom. I taught head start and there was a little boy who'd just turned 3 mixed into a group of 4-5 year olds, and it was pretty difficult for him. We were trying to practice letters, and he would always tell us "I can't do it.." Overall, it was just not the type of experience he should have had. :/ He was always tired, and had a hard time sitting for long periods of time like the older kids could....
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 2:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have noticed different schools have different age brackets they allow for head-start children, some allow 3 yr.'s old, some 4, and some only open it up as a part-time K age thing age 5. I would look at the age that's allowed, apply and if she's that age bracket try it out, worse case scenario is that she's not ready and you have to pull her out and reapply next year. :-)

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Our headstart does headstart for 3 y/os ONLY anything older is PreK and K. My daughter is 3 and she goes and she LOVES it. I thought she would have a hard time because I am a SAHM and she has never been in any kind of babysitting/daycare situation. But, she has never had a problem and she dreads the weekends because she can't go to school. I am dreading the summer because my 3 older ones are in school and they love school so, we will have problems.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2008