my son was assulted at school, nothing was done about it, what should i do???

My first grade son was beat up at school by two kids in his class. I took him to the E.R. and the hospital called the police. We made a report, but they said that they cant really do anything to a first grader. His principal assured me that they would be suspended, but my son told us that they have been at school everyday since. They haven't messed with him at all, but i think that appropriate action should be taken to insure that it doesn't happen again. How do I get this done??

wesleys_mama

Asked by wesleys_mama at 2:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• call the principal and ask the prinicpal what actions have been taken....follow through, check up, and if needed move up the chain of command.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree with SAHMinIL!! Take it to the school board if you have to!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree with poster #1, also tell the principle that if any action isn't taken then you'll make sure the local news, and papers hear about this and you'll also sue the school board for not following through with school regulations (look your state's/locals regulations in case they differ from mine), which in most schools assault means suspension and if this hasn't been done you do have a case.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Don't let this go! I agree with all of the above answers.
    Anonymous

• File a police report and bring that to the principal and tell them you will take it to the school board and the news if nothing is done. This is a ZERO tolerance world we live in today. School officals will do nothing today unless forced with allot of bad press or criminal charges.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748/

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Hire a lawyer, the police can't do anything to a child, but you can sue the parents for damages and emotional stress. You can also sue the school for failng to act.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Also, you could go to the superintendant of schools in your town. If your childs principal didn't handle this properly, the superintendant will get to the bottom it. Good luck.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 4:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Unfortunately, this happens too often in our schools. We were thinking of homeschooling our children when my oldest was in K and I was there helping the teacher with sharpening pencils etc. while the class was at recess. My son, all alone, came running into the school crying because a little boy had punched him in the mouth. This little boy had been pushing a little girl and my son stepped in to tell him to stop and he got hit. This whole time the teachers never saw a thing. When I went out to speak to the teacher, all the teachers and helpers were standing in a circle chatting while the kids were playing unsupervised. That was the day we made the decision to homeschool. Not the only reaseonwe Homeschool, but it was the final straw.

Don't let this go, schools need to be held accountable for the safety of our children.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Wesleys mama....what would you like done? I think the children should be held accountable which will most likely mean a suspension. I am sorry that your child was hurt. Are those two children the bullies of the school? Maybe your child isn't the only one who has been bullied. I would hope that this issue will be addressed on behalf of your children and the other children who may not feel protected.
    RN4kids

Answer by RN4kids at 11:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would go to the school board! That is the only way to get anything taken care of at our schools! When you go there they seem to take you seriously!
    akbogan

Answer by akbogan at 2:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2008