ADD and Meds?

My 9 year old has been struggling in school, they began testig her for a variety of things. They discovered that she does have a few learning disabilities and ADD. We talked to her pediatrician and she prescribed focalin XR, I have not started her yet. I can't decide if it is a good idea. Any advise.....

jrsec.mom

Asked by jrsec.mom at 2:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• TRY the meds, it may make a HUGE difference for your child. If you don't like it or see that it is working, then you can stop giving it to her. I waited 3 years before I gave my son meds and thinking back, I wasted 3 years of him in school. If I would have just given him the meds, he would have been able to concentrate, do his homework, get the grades he is capable of getting his self esteem would have been better because he would have been succeeding. Once he went on the meds, he went from Ds and Fs to As and Bs!!! His self esteem skyrocketed, he was able to concentrate and he THANKED me!!!! Meds aren't always a bad thing and diets are hard to control and do not always work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My nephew and two friends sons have been on focalin. It was pretty mild but worked well for them for quite a while.

I don't think anyone can tell you if it's the right decision to put your daughter on medication or not. That's your decision but if your daughter is struggling in school you have to do something to get on top of it. If you decide against meds, you should have a plan as to what you're going to do instead.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 2:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I have not heard of that one. My son takes Vyvanse and it worked wonders.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My daughter also takes Vyvanse, and it has helped her a lot. I was opposed to medicating until I realized what it must be like for her. If I could not focus on things long enough to complete them I'd probably think I was just dumb and not capable of doing a lot of things; I didn't want my daughter feeling that way.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My advise would be to do your own research and don't rely solely on what the doctors tell you because they will almost always start with meds as a first line of defense. There are many conditions whose underlying causes actually manifest themselves as ADHD behaviors and they should be investigated/addressed; they're are also other treatments (specialized diet, for example) that can be used in place of or in addition to meds. I was able to rid my son of his diagnosis using a biomedical approach; I simply could not see administering meds once I did the research on them but that was me. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Thank you ladies ALL. For the advise.
    jrsec.mom

Comment by jrsec.mom (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2010