Need help with my orchids!

I have a Phalaenopsis Orchid, this is my 4th one...i can't keep them alive for some reason. but this one has been doing really good, my blooms finally died after about 3 months, now i need to trim my stalks but i'm not sure where to cut them. my orchids always die after i trim them. i've been told a couple different spots to cut them, so i'm not sure which is the right one. can someone help me please?!

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Phalaenopsis spikes are of two types: 1)turns brown and dies back 2) the type that stays green. If your phalaenopsis is the type that dies back, then you can wait to remove it after it has dried up. Of course, that would mean that you would have an unattractive dried old flower spike on your plant until you remove it at its base where it attaches to the plant. The second type stays green and may produce additional brances at a node. If you cut off the green spike below a node, the spike will just die back as far as the next node down and possibly branch from that node or one below it. If you want to avoid the die back for that portion of the stem above the node, make the cut just above a node-- any node. Remember, if you have the type of phalaenopsis that naturally loses its flower spike, then, no matter what you do, the flower spike will turn brown. , it will rebloom from the base of the plant when it
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• hmm we have never cut ours and they do great each year!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010